PDA

View Full Version : damn modem

aidanmaz
02-07-2006, 04:43 PM
i just ordered to vista beta 2 dvd, it arrived yesterday, installed it but it couldnt find my modem (HCF PCI 56k) so i put the XP drivers on there, it found the modem but will not dial up to xtra, i cant even use my laptop to connect to the interent so i can activate vista and MS office. will i have to ring MS? or is ther a way to do it?

Prescott
02-07-2006, 05:22 PM
you might need some new drivers, try the makers homepage.

Renmoo
02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a typical chicken-and-egg question :D
Have you attempted installing the latest driver for your modem instead the one that comes along with your XP? I guess you need another computer to do that, since you can't connect to the Internet to download the driver needed.

Cheers :)

TGoddard
02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Vista is in Beta. You don't honestly expect there to be drivers available for all devices yet, do you? MS won't provide support for a beta release unless they're likely to get something out of it (such as with bug reports).

Hardware manufacturers are scrambling at the moment to port their drivers for recent hardware to Vista but we're likely to see many items of hardware 'no longer supported' - i.e. you've already bought the product and it is no longer worth the cost of making new drivers for old hardware. They would prefer that you upgrade.

aidanmaz
03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
with M$ i learned never to expect anything. i tried the manufactures website, no help there, how come i cnat use a default gateway like you can in XP to share a net cionnection, get my vista online? because i realise its pretty impossible to live without the net, most of my product need net access to some degree. now i just put the XP drivers on vista for my modem, all works, i just cant dial, even though the modem can communicate in the modem properties. other than this, Vista turned out to be better than i thought it wood.