PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent problems with Graphics Card

Chikara
02-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi all - long time reader first time poster :)

I was finding my graphics card didn't have enough memory to run some games - so about two months ago I upgraded from an old NVidia GeForce 2 MX400 (64MB) to a NVidia/Asus N6200 with 256MB, AGPx8 speed.
Since then I've had intermittent graphic display problems and crashes - even on games that used to run fine with the old card. For example - Civilization 4 has some graphics in red or black that used to display correctly. Fry Cry also has some red graphics. Sims 2 often crashes completely - it goes to a blue screen (not the BSOD), but the cursor still moves and sound is still running - it's like the game is stillplaying but no graphics. I have installed all the latest patches for these games, and tried the graphic settings within the games to drop the settings tothe lowest quality - still the same.

I suspect these problems must be something to do with the graphics card?

My system specs are posted below from CPU-z

I am running the latest NVidia drivers 8.4.2.1 but have also tried the version before that.
Is there anything I need to change with the BIOS settings? Is this graphics card simply too "modern" for my aging system to handle? I don't think my motherboard can handle run AGP x8 speed but will this affect it - I assume it will just run at the highest speed it can.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tony

:)

System specs:

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Name AMD Athlon
Code Name Thunderbird
Specification AMD Athlon(TM)Processor
Family / Model / Stepping 6 4 4
Extended Family / Model 7 4
Package Socket A
Core Stepping A9
Technology 0.18 um
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!
CPU Clock Speed 1400.1 MHz
Clock multiplier x 10.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz
Bus Speed 266.7 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1400.1 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard model A7V266, REV 1.xx
BIOS vendor Award Software, Inc.
BIOS revision ASUS A7V266 ACPI BIOS Rev 1011
BIOS release date 08/20/2002
Chipset VIA KT266/333 rev. 00
Southbridge VIA VT8233 rev. 00
Sensor chip Asus ASB100

Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfer Rate 4x
AGP Max Rate 4x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 512 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 133.3 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
DRAM Interleave 4-way
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

pctek
02-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I upgraded from an old NVidia GeForce 2 MX400 (64MB) to a NVidia/Asus N6200 with 256MB, AGPx8 speed.

Civilization 4 has some graphics in red or black that used to display correctly. Fry Cry also has some red graphics. Sims 2 often crashes completely - it goes to a blue screen (not the BSOD),
Dunno about Civ 4 and Sims but you can't play Far Cry with that card!!! Even your CPU is pushing it it.......

Chikara
03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Dunno about Civ 4 and Sims but you can't play Far Cry with that card!!! Even your CPU is pushing it it.......

Far Cry min specs are 1Ghz, and vid card GEforce2 64MB - so I'm above minimum (although not by much!) I don't play online, just single-player, and also have the graphics settings quite low.

It actually pretty much ran OK on the old card :illogical

SolMiester
03-07-2006, 09:14 PM
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled

This I think is like 'fast writes', a setting in the BIOS, I would try disabling it, i havent had an nvidia chip yet that likes this etting, if no diiferent, then switch back on. Also check what size the AGP apertger is set to, should be 1/2 your RAM max to 128 i think on KA266.

Are you using the same AA/Res setting as the old card when comparing the performance?

gibler
03-07-2006, 09:22 PM
- update video drivers
- update motherboard drivers
- check graphics card isn't overheating (fan spinning OK, no dust all over the heatsink). With my ATI card I can use ATITool, not sure what Nvidia has
- make sure you aren't overclocking the video card
- could be a video card with bad RAM, test it in another system (and borrow a similar card to test in yours).
- check power plugs into video card(try different available leads) and reseat card
- completely uninstall and reinstall a game
- sacrifice your first-born.....

SolMiester
03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
- sacrifice your first-born.....

:waughh:....LOL