PDA

View Full Version : Broadband internet connection sharing

Michael8
01-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi,

I have just recently upgraded from dial-up to broadband and want to share my internet connection between 2 computers. At the moment my two computers are connected via a cross-over network cable and I have the adsl modem plugged via a usb cable into one of the computers.

Internet connection sharing when I was on dial-up was fine but I am having trouble getting it to start for broadband. I have found that the internet on the host computer with the adsl modem attached only works if the my local area connection is disabled. However I would like the client computer to access the internet via the broadband connection as well and as you can see this will not work with the network connection disabled.

How can I configure the settings of my computer so that both the host computer and the client computer can access the internet?

Also, I do not intend to purchase a new hub.

Thanks,
Michael

TGoddard
01-07-2006, 09:32 PM
It's possible to set up connection sharing like this, but you'd be much better off buying a switch and a couple of normal ethernet cables. This will provide a much better, no configuration required network.

Michael8
02-07-2006, 02:19 PM
The thing about using a hub is that it consumes electricity plus it costs a lot.

Are there any other ideas?

Michael

snoopy
02-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Here's a couple of sites that should be of some help

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

jesseycy
02-07-2006, 04:45 PM
The thing about using a hub is that it consumes electricity plus it costs a lot.

Are there any other ideas?

Michael

You can buy a second hand switch for less than $20 on trademe..... It's not expensive... (Well, it costs less than a month of broadband)

pine-o-cleen
02-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Do what I did. I used the USB port for one pc and the ethernet for the other!

Michael8
03-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks pine-o-cleen, that's one good option. However I heard that only one computer can access the internet at times when there are a lot of users using xtra broadband and the connection slows down. Also, rewiring my cross-over cable so that it can work with the modem would mean that I can't file-share between the two computers.

Any more suggestions without the need to spend money?

Thanks,
Michael

SolMiester
03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Micheal8, what do you want, a miracle?

Buy a hub/switch to plug the modem and your pc's into..They are cheap enough!

FTR, you must have the ICS wrong, because as long as the pc with the internet connection is on, the other pc should be able to file share and browse the internet at the same time!

Run the home network utility! Do your home work!

FoxyMX
03-07-2006, 06:19 PM
However I heard that only one computer can access the internet at times when there are a lot of users using xtra broadband and the connection slows down. Also, rewiring my cross-over cable so that it can work with the modem would mean that I can't file-share between the two computers.
I agree with SolMiester that buying a hub/switch would be the easiest solution. Otherwise the computer with ICS is going to have to be on when the other one wants to go online which is a pain. It also makes file sharing a breeze to set up.

As for the connection slowing down it is not noticeable with two or three computers online unless one or more is constantly downloading all the time. Just browsing the internet makes no difference.

PaulD
03-07-2006, 06:39 PM
http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4150-1754853,00.html might help

andy
03-07-2006, 06:46 PM
PBTech (pbtech.co.nz) have an 8 port switch for $33 so they are not dear. I bought one recently and it makes sharing everything so easy. Power consumption is less than 4 watts so its only going to cost you about 20 cents per week to run!

Michael8
04-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all your help.

I've decided to try out some PCI cards which I've found in an old server as someone suggested that I could add another network card into the host computer. There are 2 cards that I have found but I'm not sure if they can be used as network cards. I inserted the cards into my computer and looked up the name in device manager. The name of one card is 'cabletron DE500B PCI Fast ethernet Adapter(21143-PC)' and the other is '3Com 3C996B 10/100/1000 Server NIC'. Does anyone know if these can be used as network cards for my home network?

Michael

Ferg
06-07-2006, 01:39 AM
I endorse the cheap network switch idea as that is what I use now. But I have previously tried to do what you wanted after having no luck with Internet Connection Sharing and sought advice on this forum.

Drcspy suggested the use of AnalogX, a freeware program available here (http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm) .

I used it and found it was really good and easy to use, I was most impressed. The downfall as suggested earlier is that the main machine must be on, but I found that the second machine was only on when the first one was being used anyway.

And its free, the best kind.