PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor recommendation for gaming

Greg
01-07-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 19" LCD monitor to replace my CRT unit. The drawback is that LCD's are known to be inferior to CRT's when playing graphic intensive games. So I'd like to hear if anyone has a recommendation that'll be a best compromise.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
01-07-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm using this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44a6335f05d355a8273fc0a87f9906f7/Product/View/XC3742) at the mo.

Its fine when playing games.

This is what Off-road Arena from Reflexive looks like (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/car.jpg)

Metla
01-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Greg, Its all depentant on your eyes, and the grey matter they communicate with.All LCD's ghost, its just a fact, they all do it, sure a slower responce (like an old 18ms ) does it like crazy, but even all the latest ones do it as well.

The difference is the person using it, some people can't see it happening, some see it, their eyes adjust for it and its then magiclly becomes invisible, Others focus on it and it rins their enjoyment.

I have a link on it somewhere that spells it out quite cearly,Ill see if I can find it. But in a ntshell...Lcd's ghost, In most cases 2ms is no better then 8ms, and ensure you see the screen in action before makig a purchase.

Metla
01-07-2006, 10:01 PM
http://www.behardware.com/articles/602-11/19-lcd-survey-2-3-4-6-8-ms-and-above.html

i think thats it.....

Shortcircuit
01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I agree it's a tough one. I have had a Samsung 193p for about a year or two, which I think is supposed to be 12ms. Never seen ghosting in anything (and I'm quite 'picky'!!)

Also different manfacturers list it in different ways (I guess to make their products sound better), there's 'rise and fall', 'grey to grey', 'white to black'... etc etc and all will give you a different ms figure.

If it's for gaming the 'contrast' seems quite important... especially how well a display can render dark or shadowy areas to keep detail.

Try before you buy seems to be the way to go... I'm sure some salesperson at Harvey Norman would jump at the chance to play games for a while instead of selling toasters :D

Greg
01-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Ta folks.

Greg
02-07-2006, 10:28 PM
This (http://www.dove.co.nz/products/viewsonic/LCD/19inch/AF1922.htm) is the one I'm contemplating. But what concerns me is that given its great 2ms response time, the price of $625 incl GST seems quite low - would I be sacrificing some other features/quality?

memphis
02-07-2006, 11:44 PM
I have a VX922 and I am a gamer and I have had no problems with it.

Take your computer case with you to the shop and connect it to the monitor,play your best game and see if you like it.

The reason why I say take your case with you is so you can see what its like with your set up and not the shops.

They will let you do it if they want a sale.If they dont then go to another shop.

Check out www.pricespy.co.nz for computer components,you might find it cheaper online,but go to a shop to test it out first to see if its what you want.

RandomCarnage
07-07-2006, 01:23 PM
This is well worth a read for anyone interested in LCD's.

http://www.silkyvenom.com/?page=articles&articleid=40

jenae
08-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi, I believe the best advice given here is to physically see the monitor of your choice run the games of your choice, HD lcd is now available 8ms is the current standard, also consider wide screen. much depends on you and also the cpu and video card employed. We have set up 60 inch HD lcd monitors for high end gamers here and in my opinion they are a pain for my eyes so money does'nt always cut it.

RandomCarnage
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
60" :waughh: so size does matter... finally an age old question can be laid to rest :thumbs:

Looking forward to the release of Vanguard toward the end of the year and will be building a game specific rig closer to the time, hence my interest in screens. It will make or break my entire gaming experience regardless of the $$$ spent.

If anyone has independant tests on 19" or better LCD's (no bigger than 24") I would be interested. As a gamer I am interested in near true black contrast, fast response time to minimise edge distortion during fast manouvers, and overall screen brightness. High native resolution should not be a problem.

Word of mouth referals would help.

It will be a high end rig (currently considering 2x7950 1G cards and 4G 6xxx ram on a core2 (conroe) cpu... but will review available hardware closer to game release).

Hey, at least I'm not down at the pub... :rolleyes: ...we all have our hobbies

Metla
08-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Sounds like you should buy a CRT.

Anyhow, My screen is 12 foot across the diagonal, so your requirments are hardly outlandish...

RandomCarnage
08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
I'll just run out and nail an extra foot of wood to my desk to accomodate a 24" CRT :thumbs:

Metla
08-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Pull the desk away from the wall, Let the arse end hang out in space....

Poppa John
08-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Pull the desk away from the wall, Let the arse end hang out in space....

Metla. Please read your Private Messages. PJ