PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft money

aandhwhite
01-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I have been using this for 4 - 5 years for my cheque account and credit card transactions .The file is now bigger than 1.4mb so I need 2 floppies to back up which is cumbersome . How can i reduce the sze of the file without losing the balance especially on the cheque account - Thanks

rocky138
01-07-2006, 07:05 PM
If you must keep using floppies (don't have a cd/dvdwriter or usb port) shed some of the previous years.

Bazza
01-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Do an archive. Check in "MS Money help" for details.

This will archive the current transactions (up to a date you specify) to floppy disks. You can refer to those floppys in future if necessary. This means that your transactions after that date will fit on one floppy.

Bazza
01-07-2006, 07:14 PM
If you must keep using floppies (don't have a cd/dvdwriter or usb port) shed some of the previous years.

Interesting rocky, Is there an option in MS Money to backup to cd/dvd ?

rocky138
01-07-2006, 08:49 PM
You had me worried for a minute there as I had never actually done it.
My wife has an older version of Money on her pc & I was able to backup to a memory stick & also to a backup folder on onother partition.

bonzo29
01-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I too use a thumb drive to backup, it's so much qicker than using two or three floppies

CliveM
You can back up your .mny (mymoney) to anything you like. I back mine up to a flash drive along with some other important business files and carry it with me. That way in the event of a major disaster I can recreate my main stuff easily.

bonzo29
I also use a thumb drive to backup, it's so much qicker than using two or three floppies

aandhwhite
02-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Do an archive. Check in "MS Money help" for details.

This will archive the current transactions (up to a date you specify) to floppy disks. You can refer to those floppys in future if necessary. This means that your transactions after that date will fit on one floppy.
Hi and thanks - have tried this and able to create archive file Ok but did not remove transactions from current file prior to date i selected - ???? Ta again

Bazza
02-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi and thanks - have tried this and able to create archive file Ok but did not remove transactions from current file prior to date i selected - ???? Ta again

From MS Money archive help:

"For each account, choose between removing or retaining various types of transactions. For example, you can remove or retain all transactions or only those that have been reconciled or cleared."

Looks like you may not have selected an option to "remove"

aandhwhite
02-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Yes - have just gone through process again and did selct 'Remove all Transactions' button Archive was ok but still did not remove prior transactions from current file - can't see where i'm going wrong.??? Nuisance eh?