PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Broadband - Refund?

DavetheYank
01-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Got a letter from Xtra saying that they have performed tests on my line and found that I can only get a maximum of 2.86 Mbps, when my plan is meant to get 3.5 Mbps. I don't really mind, because it's better than 2 months ago, right? But get this...

"Because your connection is unlikely to reach the maximum available speeds, we are writing to let you know about some potential options that you have:"

"-Stay on your current plan" (leave it how it is)

"-Change plans" (change to a plan with a smaller allowance. They suggest I mght consider a dial-up plan) "If you do change plans, we will credit your Telecom account for your current monthly broadband plan charges back to when you changed plan."

Here's the good one. I've included the whole pargraph even though I type really slowly...

"-Cancel the service If you're not satisfied with either of the options above, you can talk to us about cancelling your Xtra account and we will refund all of the Telecom broadband costs you have incurred so far, including: the Xtra Broadband connection, Xtra modem, installation costs (if applicable) and monthly plan charges to date. If you would like to remain on your curent Xtra Broadband plan then you don't need to do anything. If we don't hear from you within 30 days we will assume that you've decided to keep things as they are."

...costs you have incurred SO FAR
...and monthly plan charges TO DATE

Are they begging me to cancel the service? Why would I stay even if I WAS satisfied? I've had the Xtra account for a little over a year.

Anyone else get a letter like this?

What's iHug's number? hehe

Buff_K
01-07-2006, 05:46 PM
excactly what i was thinking.

I'm actually looking for some ISP thread on here, i remember seeing it a while ago...

Laura
01-07-2006, 05:49 PM
They emailed me a similar offer 2/3 months ago.

Not exactly the same, but part of an incentive to upgrade from Dialup.
I could try broadband for a month (free modem) and if I wasn't happy they'd refund the extra cost - plus any wiring charges I'd incurred.

pctek
01-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Got a letter from Xtra saying that they have performed tests on my line and found that I can only get a maximum of 2.86 Mbps, when my plan is meant to get 3.5 Mbps.

"-Cancel the service If you're not satisfied with either of the options above, you can talk to us about cancelling your Xtra account and we will refund all of the Telecom broadband costs you have incurred so far,

Why would I stay even if I WAS satisfied?
How interesting. At least you get 2Mbps.

I wonder when I'll get my letter?
And what will they offer me? Seeing as they are refunding me my $59.95 each and every month.

Erayd
01-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Seeing as they are refunding me my $59.95 each and every month.How did this come about? Are you in a unique situation, or is this something that anyone could take advantage of? (max line speed here: ~1.7MBits/sec)

pctek
01-07-2006, 09:56 PM
How did this come about? Are you in a unique situation, or is this something that anyone could take advantage of? (max line speed here: ~1.7MBits/sec)
I've posted this before. can't be stuffed repeating myslef.

The short version:

I complained.

A lot.