PDA

View Full Version : Re Norton Save & Restore

paradox
01-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Just been reading about the above in the recent PC World. Has anyone tried it? Or could someone point me to a review of it? I have got a copy of Acronis but the durn thing scares me. The troubles on their forum scare me too. So any comments on the new Norton would be a real help.Cheers.....Ken

Sorry if I did a double post

Rob99
01-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Have you tried Acronis? what issues are you having with it?

bonzo29
01-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I seem to remember our knowledgable member Billy T was to buy Acronis, earlier in the year.
If he did go ahead I'm sure he would help

Billy T
01-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I seem to remember our knowledgable member Billy T was to buy Acronis, earlier in the year.
If he did go ahead I'm sure he would help
Sorry, I ran out of spare readies and since Mrs T keeps me on a short leash I haven't yet bought Acronis, and I am less and less likely to do so as I read about various problems out there.

Funnily enough, I was looking at Norton Ghost again today myself as DSE have some good prices going on Systemworks 2006 which would give me an updated package of utilities including Ghost. My AV is Nav 2003 and that is just coming off support now so I need a replacement. I am not interested in free AV programs and NAV has never given me any problems in all the years I have used it (I even have 2003 running on old faithful, my W98 P166 and it goes just fine).

I like Ghost but then I've been a user for many years and I'm familiar with the way it images and restores etc. However, I can see that Norton Save and Restore would be a good entry point for a beginner and although I haven't tried it, the reviews are good and the history is supportive.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Misty
14-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I haven't yet bought Acronis, and I am less and less likely to do so as I read about various problems out there.
Billy 8-{)
Well Billy T, I have read lots about Acronis, Ghost and "Norton Save & Restore".
Also did reading on the Ghost and Acronis forums. Came away with the view that Acronis is the most reliable. They seem to have more problems with Ghost 9 & 10, Norton Save & Restore. If I had decided to go down that track I would have tried to buy the old Ghost 2003 (whatever version that was). Some of the Ghost users say that was the most reliable version of the lot.

Still, only time will tell whether I have made the right decision !
Misty :2cents: