PDA

View Full Version : System overload

RandomCarnage
30-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi,

I loaded MS Office professional edition 2003 reciently. I registered it online and it is a legal store baught item.

Trying to edit a 60 odd page document using word however is causing my computer to dramatically load up and the task manager is showing that virtually all of the load is coming from the MS word. The cursor is freezing for up to 5 or 6 seconds at a time and this is happening every 10 to 15 seconds (often more frequently)

When I shut off Word, system load sits around 1%. While editing the document, it rarely drops below 50% and is often close to 80%. It is a text document only.

My specs inc a P4 3.2GHz cpu and 2G DDR2 ram.

I have done a full virus check and it was clear. Can anyone tell me why my computer would be loading up so heavily when using MS word? I have no issues with any other programmes.

Thanks in advance.

godfather
30-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Welcome

A "60 page document" tells us nothing though.

What is the actual document size in MB?

If it has graphics in it, there may indeed be problems. If just plain text, the problem could be a corrupt document. Cut and past-special as unformatted text to a new document and see how it performs.

RandomCarnage
30-06-2006, 10:31 PM
The size is 132k, text only.

It was originally copy/pasted from an email into word. Testing other similiar sized documents, Word seems ok. I then tried the cut/paste to a new document but with no noticable improvement.

If it is a problem with this particular document, is there a way for me to check and fix the problem? I have used versions of Word many times but have never struck this before. I am not sure how a 132 k word document could strain a system like mine so badly, dodgy formating or not.

I can battle my way through it if necessary, but curiosity has gotten the better of me now.

Rob99
01-07-2006, 01:42 AM
C/P into notepad, then back into a new Work doc.

godfather
01-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Agree with Rob99

132k is nothing for Word 2003.

It strongly suggests that there is a corruption in that document.

Help is also available here:
http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm

Scroll down to Troubleshooting Word and do Step 3 as well.

If the troble stems from a corrupt Normal.dot file, then even a copy/paste to a new document may not work until you delete or rename Normal.dot.

Taurus
01-07-2006, 12:00 PM
I won't be surprise it is doing automatic update in the background. See if you can turn the automatic update off.

Graham L
01-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Is it actually a plain text document? Could it be an HTML document which Word is "helpfully" displaying for editing. That would cause reformatting the screen (and probably all 60 pages) each time you enter or remove a character?

I'd have a look at it with Notepad (or Wordpad). Clever word processors are sometimes too clever for their own (or your) good.