PDA

View Full Version : A little help please?...

obsidius
30-06-2006, 04:20 AM
I recently bought an Averatec laptop. I have no complaints; it’s a great little machine. My concern was dealing with the charger. The one that it came with, “burned” out which prompted me to get another. This never happened with my Mac, so I thought this was weird. My question is this… When can I safely use the battery charger? For recharging only or is it going to do more harm then good by leaving it in constantly?

Graham L
30-06-2006, 02:00 PM
You got a dud power supply. It happens. The PSU should be rated for about twice what the computer draws. That means it can run the computer, and charge a flat battery. When the battery is fully charged, the load on the PSU drops.

The battery life is measured in charge-discharge cycles. You should run off the mains as much as possible, for maximum battery life. Just make sure the PSU is in "free air". They can overheat if they get insulated by an accumulation of paper etc on a desk.

SolMiester
30-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Further to Grahams post, please do not leave the battery on charge when it is full and u are running on ac power, as this will destroy the battery life.
Batteries shouyld be periodically drained.
If the laptop is on ac most of the time, remove the battery to avaiod damage

Graham L
30-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Wrong.

All modern laptop batteries are "intelligent", and control the charger. When they reach full charge, they don't get any more charge. Just leave the battery in. It won't hurt it.

NiCD and NiMH batteries might benefit from occasional cycling; with LiIon you just use up cycles for no benefit. (Occasionally you might need to discharge an LiIon to recalibrate the charge monitor).

Gel lead acid batteries can sit on a proper (voltage-controlled) charger forever.

godfather
30-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I agree with G_L.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

"Lithium-ion is a low maintenance battery, an advantage that most other chemistries cannot claim. There is no memory and no scheduled cycling is required to prolong the battery's life."

obsidius
01-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys...