PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to install IE7

symiggy
29-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I have found it is impossible to install IE7 on either of my two computers.
I thought I would give IE7 a try but I have been stymied even before I'm out of the starting gate and this has been my experience with BOTH of my computers, one of which is brand new and quite highly specked with a dual core 64 AMD CPU, and 1GB Ram running Win XP SP2 fully updated.
On both occasions I go through the initial verification procedure and then download the program then I start the installation and the computer hums along with the occasional message as to progress and then finally I get a message that IE7 was not able to be installed and I am given a web page to go to in order to trouble shoot the reason.
On visiting the web page that was suggested I am directed to download a diagnostic tool in order to confirm that the problem preventing installation is in registry permission settings...Which I duly do and on running the tool I get the final message that "There is no fault found".
The Trouble shooting guide (in typical M$ fashion) glibly states that if no fault is found, "This article does not relate to you"
No further advice is forthcoming!

Has anyone else had this experience?
I would like to take IE7 on a test drive but for the life of me I cannot imagine what I am doing wrong.
Or what I could or should do differently.
Both computers are working perfectly with no slowdowns or problems.
I have up to date antivirus and antispyware on both computers and they are perfectly clean and spinning along just fine.
Does any one have any comments or suggestions?
Many thanks for your advice. :confused:

Rob99
29-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Does any one have any commentsProbally not such a bad thing not being able to use IE7.
Why dont you try a proper web browser like Firefox, Opera, or do a google search theres heaps avaliable.

GhostBuster
29-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi symiggy ,

Make sure automatic updates are on as that was the problem for me, after i set it up all worked fine, if that does not work for you, it will be another one of your services that has been turned off.

good luck! :thumbs:

symiggy
29-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Probally not such a bad thing not being able to use IE7.
Why dont you try a proper web browser like Firefox, Opera, or do a google search theres heaps avaliable.

Rob 99:

I'm somewhat disappointed at your flippant and off hand response.
I took the trouble to pose a serious question which I really believe warranted a serious answer with respect to other people's experience.
As it so happens I use Firefox as my default browser and have done exclusively for these last few years.
That still does not obviate my interest in taking IE7 for a test spin!

symiggy
29-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi symiggy ,

Make sure automatic updates are on as that was the problem for me, after i set it up all worked fine, if that does not work for you, it will be another one of your services that has been turned off.

good luck! :thumbs:

Hi GhostBuster:

Thanks for your suggestion, Automatic updates is turned on and as far as I am aware I have not changed any default services.

Renmoo
30-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Heya. Can you give us the exact error code when you mentioned "finally I get a message that IE7 was not able to be installed". Then we might be able to google out and see what Google has to say.

Cheers :)

symiggy
30-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Heya. Can you give us the exact error code when you mentioned "finally I get a message that IE7 was not able to be installed". Then we might be able to google out and see what Google has to say.

Cheers :)

Hi JamesKan:

The shortcut that was placed on my desktop following the failed installation was:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917925

To quote directly from the article
SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, the installation wizard finishes, but the last screen displays the following error message:
Internet Explorer 7 could not be installed. You must restart your system to confirm that any changes to your system are undone.

After restarting, follow the "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting" shortcut on your desktop to get more information.

I followed the shortcut and downloaded the tool that it referred to.
On running the tool I got the message that "no problems were found"

Again to quote directly from the article:
d. If the tool reports that no problems are found, this article does not apply to you.

Herein lies my problem!
Since No faults were found.... the article does not refer to me. BUT IE7 did not in fact install so patently there is a problem but no further advice or information is available from Microsoft. To cover cases such as mine.
A Google search was no help either since all the results pointed to the article that.....apparently does not apply to me!!! :mad: :groan: :confused:
Thanks for your interest and advice.

tweak'e
30-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Rob 99:

I'm somewhat disappointed at your flippant and off hand response.
I took the trouble to pose a serious question which I really believe warranted a serious answer with respect to other people's experience.
As it so happens I use Firefox as my default browser and have done exclusively for these last few years.
That still does not obviate my interest in taking IE7 for a test spin!

sorry but i have to agree with rob a bit here. IE is part and parcel of windows. stuffing up IE can mean breaking windows.

BETA testing is not for the average joe and exspecially anything major such as IE. its best done on a 2nd pc that you don't mind formating/reinstalling.

symiggy
30-06-2006, 11:48 AM
tweak'e:

Your point is well taken but I still was not able to install IE7 on my second PC that I use for that purpose exactly.
I would really appreciate some advice as to what to do now especially since I have several friends that installed the program with no problem and apparently went through the same procedure.
What I am really asking is...how can I investigate in what way my machine differs from theirs??

symiggy
30-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Hello all

Just a quick note to close this thread.
I discovered the cause of my problem...as always something quite simple and obvious..... :o
I had neglected to disable my Firewall and Webroot Spy Sweeper.
Once I disabled these monitoring programs, the installation went off without a hitch and everything is working fine.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Pancake
30-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Removed...

KiwiTT_NZ
30-06-2006, 02:17 PM
IE7 Beta 3 is now out. Give that a try

Pancake
30-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Is there a site for IE7 B3.I thought it was not out untill August ?

donhutton06
11-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I had no trouble with IE7 Beta but since the installation of the latest version 7.0.5730.11 (Nov 2006) I've had trouble connecting with the Internet even though I have a Broadband connection through which I'm supposed top be connected all the time! Too often (several times a day) after clicking IE on the desktop (or elsewhere) I keep receiving a message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", giving possible causes and suggesting diagnosis. The latter action works sometimes. It's very frustrating and affects another networked PC as well. Apart from going back to IE6 or changing to another browser how can this be resolved?

Trev
11-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Are you sure your problems are not internet related and nothing to do with IE7. I run IE7 and have no problems with it, but over the last 2 or 3 days I have had to reboot my computer and router to get back onto the internet as it had gone dead. I know of 2 or 3 other people who have had this problem over the last few days as well.

Trevor :)

beama
11-11-2006, 05:10 PM
the full version is out now are you still having the same problem
point to note

the ie7 installer is not the full package, it downloads the software needed from Microsoft site to complete the ie 7 install and if a firewall is protecting your pc this may/will stop this process, even proxies will interfer with this process.

do your updates, sp2 may not be enough

good luck

somthing you may wish to know and im not knocking IE7 but there has been several vunabilties identified with it already most of which are inhertited from IE 6