PDA

View Full Version : Will fast RAM shorten life of Motherboard?

dougalw
29-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I am going to upgrade the memory in my computer by 1GB. The motherboard supports DDR 266/333/400 MHz memory modules. If I install a 400MHz module, will this shorten the life of the motherboard compared to if I use a 333MHz module.

Thanks.

zahmad
29-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Why the hell will it do that?

dougalw
29-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Well apparently if the RAM is operating at a speed that is at the maximum capacity supported by the motherboard there could be more stress involved therefore potentially shortening its life. I read this on a hardware site (Anandtech) and so rang HP/Compaq technical support about it. They said that this was true and I would be better to stick with DDR 333.

PaulD
29-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Even adding more memory will add load onto the ram power supply controller, do you want it to last forever? Unless you replace your existing DDR 333 ram any additional will only run at 333.

dougalw
29-06-2006, 05:44 PM
According to HP/Compaq, the increase in memory size would not influence the motherboards longevity however the bus speed would. I would also like the computer to last as long as possible and to not spend any further money on it.

Rob99
29-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Link please

dougalw
29-06-2006, 05:56 PM
What do you mean?

Rob99
29-06-2006, 06:01 PM
What do you mean?
Sorry I meant provide a hyperlink (http://www.answers.com/hyperlink) to this information.

pctek
29-06-2006, 06:12 PM
rang HP/Compaq technical support about it. They said that this was true and I would be better to stick with DDR 333.
HP/Comapq support, haha. You spoke to some Call Center twit in India.
Yeah it might but unless you are worried about how many minutes longer it might last then its not even worth worrying about.
And thats a stupid recommendation.
Put DDR400 in it, not mixed with the DDR333, cause then it will still run at 333.
If you own a Compaq/HP anyway its lifespan isn't going to be that long anyway, if you want longevity buy decent quality components in the first place.

Erayd
29-06-2006, 06:26 PM
No, it won't shorten the life of your motherboard. Not by any amount you should be caring about.

dougalw
29-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the site Rob99.
Yeah, I was getting the impression that it wasn't something to worry about. Would prefer to have faster memory in there anyway. Thanks for the help pctek. You wouldn't happen to know how long the computer will last roughly? Its nearly 2 years old now. If I did buy a custom built computer with quality components, do you know how much longer that would last?

Cheers.

tweak'e
29-06-2006, 06:42 PM
with good hardware it will properly last longer than the OS thats on it ;)

theres plenty of 5+ year old pc's that are still going perfectly. with a bit of luck you should be able to get 10 years out of it. weather its fast enough to be usable in 10 years time is another story.

dougalw
29-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Oh thanks, thats good to know.
Just one more question. The whole purpose of getting 1GB was to future proof the computer ready for when Vista, cheap fast broadband arrives etc. There is only 256MB on it at the moment and the computer is used only for basic applications and the internet. With the idea of installing Norton Internet Security and upgrading to SP2, do I need an extra 1GB or should I save the cash and just get an extra 512MB.

Thanks.

tweak'e
29-06-2006, 07:22 PM
by the time vista gets here you may not even have that pc ! ram....depends on use. i would get 512 unless your a hardcore gamer or grapics editing person.

nortons....sicurity ?? a bit of an oxymoron ! get something better.

memphis
29-06-2006, 07:31 PM
What do you use your computer for?
If its hard core gaming it wont last long!!! :)

Most people have ddr400 ram in there computers.

Some even put ddr466,ddr500,ddr566 in there computers.

Asking how long my computer will last is like asking how long will my car last!!

Does the car get regular service checks,warrent of fitness,do you look after your car?Do you race your car?Do you crash your car?

The computer:
Do you have good Anti Virus,Firewall.(& keep updated).
Windows updated(all the time).
Firefox updated etc.
Do you overclock?

We dont know how you treat your car,just like we dont know how you treat your computer.

Just like a car,things do wear out/give up/dont work anymore etc.

Besides there is always a better car,tv,computer,etc. all the time. :)

It will last you until you cant do what you want to do.

It will last you until you compare it to others.

It will last you until you get a power surge!!!

:)

The_End_Of_Reality
29-06-2006, 07:56 PM
You wouldn't happen to know how long the computer will last roughly? Its nearly 2 years old now. If I did buy a custom built computer with quality components, do you know how much longer that would last? Impossible to tell, you never know what is going to happen, I have an old HP, P1 133 running Win 95 and it has been going solid for the whole time, then I have/had anouther HP, this one was 1999 and with Win98 SE, that died over a year ago...

memphis
29-06-2006, 08:10 PM
If you wont to speed it up a bit on the cheap and easy then get 2 gb of ram.

2 x 1gb sticks of ram,so you can put it in dual channel.
Make sure the two sticks are the same speed and the same company.

Makes a big difference!!!

Take your case to a computer shop, get them to put some in for you,try it,see if you like the difference.

Takes no time to do if they are good and know how to do there job proberly.

Or to save money get 1 gb of ram now and 1 gb of ram later.

Firewall,I use Zonealarm (free edition)
Anti Virus,I use AVG Anti Virus (free)

tweak'e
29-06-2006, 08:44 PM
If you wont to speed it up a bit on the cheap and easy then get 2 gb of ram. yeah right !

even on 1gig systems they very rarely make full use of the ram. usually its when loading big games or dealing with huge files. i'm only useing 200mb while i write this (w2k) and opera is useing over 30meg. even with XP 512 meg is heaps for general use. those i've seen with 1gig ram the ram very rarely gets used fully. don't forget the bigger the ram the more virtual memory you need assigned (w2k/xp). at 2gig ram your looking at around 3gig virtual mem size.

dougalw
29-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the replys. Think I'll go for 512MB. Its just been a bit frustrating lately when using the computer. Once it's turned on it usually takes 6-7 minutes before it can be used. That seems to be a result from having Norton Antivirus and some HP Printer software (HP Image Zone etc.) installed.
In case you were wondering memphis I regularly update Windows, don't overclock, have the tower on a clean and dust free desk, use it for nothing other than word processing and the internet and have a power surge board.

Andy1
30-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Asking how long my computer will last is like asking how long will my car last!!

Does the car get regular service checks,warrent of fitness,do you look after your car?Do you race your car?Do you crash your car?

The computer:
Do you have good Anti Virus,Firewall.(& keep updated).
Windows updated(all the time).
Firefox updated etc.
Do you overclock?

We dont know how you treat your car,just like we dont know how you treat your computer.

:)

Analogies between cars and computers - bah!

Do you seriously think that regular windoze & firefox updates (even AV/FW) would make an ounce of difference to the life span of consumer electronics?

We're talking electronics not mechanics. Electronics is susceptable to heat, EMF, power purity, RF, and quality of components (& assembly and handling proceedures).

Overclock - yes, extra component stress can lead to failures, if it exceeds design parameters.

SurferJoe46
30-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the replys. Think I'll go for 512MB. Its just been a bit frustrating lately when using the computer. Once it's turned on it usually takes 6-7 minutes before it can be used. That seems to be a result from having Norton Antivirus and some HP Printer software (HP Image Zone etc.) installed.
In case you were wondering memphis I regularly update Windows, don't overclock, have the tower on a clean and dust free desk, use it for nothing other than word processing and the internet and have a power surge board.

If you want a little speed back in your system, dump Norton and don't even consider McAfee either.

Check what's starting up when you boot...I bet you've got the whole HP suite running by the time you get the Richmond screen up.....kill their abilities to "phone home" by using Spybot in Advanced mode and see what's starting up at boot and toggle thyem off. Spybot is a very goot security tool too..get it, update it and run it with Teatimer to see what's going on in your puter. You'll be amazed.

When you disable their ability to start at boot you'll not see any appreciable delay in running your HP printer or AIO, you just won't have HP telling mom what you've got or are running and sending you ads and pop-unders all the time. Remember that HP opens a port or two for that communication, and it's a good way to get hacked or trojan'd too.

BTW: thinking your set-up is dust free is a dream. Your puter is going to pick up all sorts of dander from the atmosphere unless you run it in a NASA clean room. You still have to clean the fans and inside on a regular basis. :thumbs:

pctek
30-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Quality of the componets in it matters more too.
I have seen 8 year old HPs still going because they had decent brand motherboards, hard drives etc in them.

Then I have seen 18month old Compaqs die.

As for Vista, you probably could run it on that PC but not well and not with all the bells and whistles.

Why you care is beyond me though. You don't NEED Vista, whats wrong with continuing to use the O/S you have? No doubt sometime in the futre - somewhere between 6 months and 5 years you will buy another PC, and it will come bundled with Vista. Then you can worry about that.

dougalw
30-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the tips SurferJoe46. Interesting to know what the HP software might be up to. The computer is going to get a good clean when the new RAM goes in too.
As far as Vista goes pctek, I was concerned that Microsoft would end support for XP at some point leaving me no choice but to install their new O/S. It won't matter anyway if the rest of the computer isn't capable of running it properly anyway. Heres hoping the ASUS motherboard in the computer will keep up their reputation for good boards and the computer will last a good while yet.
Cheers.

TGoddard
01-07-2006, 09:48 PM
One of my relatives got Norton Internet Security a while ago and got me to install it. I had to come back and disable most of it again after the whole computer slowed to a crawl. Honestly, the point of security is to increase your ability to use it, not decrease it!

SurferJoe46
02-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the tips SurferJoe46. Interesting to know what the HP software might be up to. The computer is going to get a good clean when the new RAM goes in too.
As far as Vista goes pctek, I was concerned that Microsoft would end support for XP at some point leaving me no choice but to install their new O/S. It won't matter anyway if the rest of the computer isn't capable of running it properly anyway. Heres hoping the ASUS motherboard in the computer will keep up their reputation for good boards and the computer will last a good while yet.
Cheers.

The fact that M$ WILL end support for XP is a given; they are killing off support for 95, 98, and ME ...but look how long it took for that to finally happen!

From 1995 to now is better than 10 years, and who knows...you might become a Linux user by then anyway and to blazes with M$.

Maybe in another 10 years, you won't need a puter anyway...you'll have a chip behind your right ear that does it all and screens the new web on your retinas. Your mouse/pointer will be your tongue clicking on the roof of your mouth.

'We are the Borg...etc'

SurferJoe46
02-07-2006, 04:45 AM
<snip>...I bet you've got the whole HP suite running by the time you get the Richmond screen up....<unsnip>

Did I say that? I meant "Redmond"...right?

Where's a mod to make these corrections when one needs one?