PDA

View Full Version : pc-lagg

Absence
29-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Hello everyone!

I have a really annoying problem with my pc which noone have been able to solve. And its pissing me off now :/ So here it is:

My pc (a decent one, 3 years old.. 2-2.5 years old when problem started) have annoying pc-lagg. The pc suffer from huge delays both in windows (when starting a program) and when i play games. It takes several seconds to start just firefox even if i only have winamp running and unrar'ing a 700mb file took me yesterday 8 mins which normally would take 1.5 min. When i play Unreal tournament online do i lagg badly. I have ping between 30-3000 where the ping spikes comes when someone is entering my screen (which is always since its a fast game) and then does my pc not recieve any packages from the server at all.. it drops to 0/sec and then goes back to normal again after a while when my pc have caught up with the packages it should. But the thing is then is that im not on the same spot anylonger... and im mostly dead.. and when im dead then does it sometimes takes about 2 secs to respawn (where just a click from my mouse just should do it).

Now u think it would be the isp which is ****ing it up, but its not. The same problem is caused when i play Neverwinter nights (rpg) offline. All the time when i open a door where monsters hides behind in the new room, then does my pc freeze. It takes again a few seconds for my pc to catch up and during that time have the monsters moved. So i have to pause the game each time i face new monsters just cause otherwise might i end up in a sticky position.

U may now think its caused by my graphiccard, but i must say no there also. My graphiccard's fan got broken awhile back and it got overheated cause of that and i had to buy a new card. But the same problem remains, nothing really changed. So its not it either.

So this is what i have done:
-Changed graphiccard
-Changed networkcard
-Talked to isp
-Talked to Dell (where i bought the pc)
-Reinstalled my pc about 10 times since the problem started
-Used different programs to check for problems with my pc without finding anything.
-Switched main-HD to let windows use D-HD instead of C as memory and also installed UT on that HD instead to see if it was the HD which caused the problems. But of course not.

The only thing is see which might cause this is either my motherboard or my power supply. But since im a noob when it comes to pc then do i not know :(

I really appreciate any thoughts from anyone. This have been pissing me off (and others since i do lagg which causes me to be to hit when i play online ;) ) a long time now. And its getting worse all the time. So i wanna know whats the problem is before my pc finally collapse cause it might be harder to figure out the problem then.

/Absence

Trev
29-06-2006, 10:22 AM
System specs, OS would help.

Trevor :)

Morgenmuffel
29-06-2006, 11:21 AM
What programs are running at startup,

When your computer has been running for a while open the task manager and see how many processes are running and what there memory usage is like

have you tried running crap cleaner, etc and then defragging

Do you have the correct up to date video card drivers installed, and the correct directX version (I think Thats what it is called)

have you checked your "device manager" for problems

try running ad-aware from lavasoft if you haven't already
try running hijack this and posting the log

Absence
29-06-2006, 11:50 AM
thanks for tips, but yeh, i have already done so. Even after a fresh and clean reinstall of windows do i lagg the same. Afaik is it nothing with windows, graphiccard, networkcard or hd's, its something else. Ive used lots of troubleshootings and my friend went thru my pc with hijack without finding anything suspious. I havent made any search lately for any spyware but my firewall does it on its own. But sure, it can miss a few evil spybots and so, but since this has been going on since before christmas (and even earlier, but then it dissappeared and came back again 3-4 months later on) then do i not think its a spybot nor virus since i have reinstalled my pc since then.

Thats why i dont think its a spybot but something wrong with my hardware. And since i have changed cards for graphics and network and switched hd's, then have i limited it a bit at least. And i talked to a guy who sell pc-stuff last week just briefly about my problems and he said it might be my power supply. Thats why im now so focused on that :P But since i didnt tell the complet story for him then is it maybe not right solution. But still its worth a shot i thought, and its a quite cheap investment anyway even if it doesnt help.

/Absence

tweak'e
29-06-2006, 06:47 PM
without knowing what hardware and software you use, any comment is going to be a wild guess.

your not doing newbie mistakes like forgetting to install motherboard drivers are you ??

Absence
29-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Well, i must say no even if i acctually dont know :P. Just cause i did reinstall my pc before the problem started and also the first time this problem happend (about autumn last year) did it solve itself without me doing anything and appeared once again now soon before christmas.

btw.. i did install 'something' for my motherboard (sorry that i cant describe it better) but i cant remember. It was a friend who helped me, but i do remember that it didnt help a thing :/.

My pc (copied and pasted from Everest):

Motherboard:
CPU typ: Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Motherboardsname: Dell Dimension 8300
Motherboardschipset: Intel Canterwood i875P/E7210
Systemmemory: 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS type: Phoenix (02/23/04)

Monitor:
Graphiccard: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (128 MB)
3D accelerator: nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP
Monitor: Dell E773c [17" CRT] (6418036O315M)

Multimedia:
Soundcard: Creative SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Soundcard: Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

HD:
IDE Controller Standard-Dual Channel PCI IDE-styrenhet
IDE Controller Standard-Dual Channel PCI IDE-styrenhet
HD: WDC WD800BB-75CAA0 (74 GB, IDE)
HD: WDC WD400BB-00DEA0 (37 GB, IDE)

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 76285 MB
D: (NTFS) 38154 MB

Network
Networkcard D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A)

Sorry if i missed some words or translated a few wrong, but i dont know all pc-terms hehe :) But i think u can get an idea anyway what kind of pc i have :)
I can make a more detailed version of my pc i guess, but then it comes with lots of swedish words which i cant translate to decent pc-language so i hope its not needed :P

/Absence

zqwerty
29-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Post a screen save (Alt+Prnt Scrn) of your Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+delete) tab/Processes as a .jpg not .bmp showing all the programs running under typical conditions to here:

http://imagef1.net.nz/upload/

Post the link back here.

Absence
29-06-2006, 10:57 PM
No offence zqwerty, i know u wanna help, but this is not caused by programs nor spybot really. As ive said before have i had this problem for a long time where ive reinstalled my pc during that time and still have had the same problem.

tweak'e
29-06-2006, 11:10 PM
my pick at the moment, lack of motherboard drivers. go find your motherboard cd or download them off the manafactures web site.

anyone been tweaking the OS at all ?

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2006, 11:27 PM
It isnt a sis based mobo is it?

I know these can lag. The other computer had a sis based mobo in it.

And it lagged like hell. Even with 1 GB.

When u booted up, when opening games / programs, and on the net.

In the end I replaced it with an Intel mobo. And its been fine since.

Trev
29-06-2006, 11:38 PM
It has the Intel Canterwood Chipset.

Trevor :)

Absence
30-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Well, i made a update of the BIOS. Hehe, dont know if thats what u meant me to do, but i did it anyway. I did download some other stuff also but it wasnt compitable with my swedish XP, so i didnt wanna install it then.

Worth to mention is that this lagg goes up and down. Sometimes i lagg extremly badly while sometimes it hardly laggs at all. Like when i switched my HD's and installed Unreal on my second, then could i play a few games without lagg at all. But later that evening did i lagg even more than ive ever done before.

The lagg always starts when i start a program or if something enters my screen while playing (monsters, other players and so on). Playing without monsters/players or having a program running doesnt affect the pc.

/Absence