PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a laptop to print to a shared printer that is connected to a PC

GraemeL
28-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I have a Brother HL-5140 laserjet connected to my PC via a USB cable that I am trying to share over a wireless network with a laptop so I can print direct from the laptop.

The PC set up is that it is running XP Home SP2 and is connected by cable to a Netgear DG834G 54 Mbps Wireless ASDL Modem Router and on through the telephone cable to the internet.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100 running Windows XP Professional SP2 that connects to our wireless home network via a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless connection and so to the internet through the Netgear router.

On the PC to try and set up the printer to share:
I have gone into Printers and Faxes and enabled sharing for the HL-5140 printer and given it a Share Name (Brother_Portrait). I have gone into Network and Internet Connections and used the Network Setup Wizard, checked the option “connects to the internet through a residential gateway”, given the PC a description and a name (PC_COMPUTER), given a workgroup name (OURHOME), turned on file and printer sharing and just finished the wizard.

On the laptop:
I have gone into Network and Internet Connections and used the Network Setup Wizard, checked the option to ignore disconnected networks, checked the option “connects to the internet through a residential gateway”, given the PC a description and a name (LAPTOP), used the same workgroup name (OURHOME), turned on file and printer sharing and just finished the wizard.

Then I have gone to the Add Printer Wizard, checked the option for a network printer, used the option to connect to this printer/browse for a printer. In the next screen that shows the shared printers, there is the Microsoft Windows Network icon, beneath that the OURHOME icon, then beneath that are the installed local printers for the laptop, then an icon for the laptop which when double clicked shows the local printers again, then an icon for the PC that is correctly labelled PC_COMPUTER. When this icon is double clicked, the hour glass appears for a while, then stops and nothing happens. In the box above to put printer names, I have put in the shared printer name, the printer name as shown in the Printers and Faxes folder & options such as \\PC_COMPUTER\Brother_Portrait etc. I have highlighted various icons when doing this; the Microsoft Windows Network icon, the OURHOME icon, PC_COMPUTER icon etc.

Each time when clicking NEXT, I get an error message saying Windows cannot connect to this printer.

On the laptop I can bring up the “View Workgroup Computers” folder successfully but when I double click on the PC_COMPUTER icon, after a while an error message comes up \\PC_COMPUTER not accessible and that I may not have permission to use this network resource & contact administrator etc.

On the PC, I cannot bring up the “View Workgroup Computers” folder, the error message comes up OURHOME is not accessible and that I may not have permission to use this network resource & contact administrator etc.

So I am stuck with what to try next apart from give up and continue using a microdrive to transfer files from one to the other. I cannot see anywhere to alter permissions and I don’t log into the the PC other than as USER, so there are not different user profiles etc on the PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Myth
29-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Have you rebooted both computers?
I know 98 requires this when doing anything with the networks, I think XP might as well.
Are you using static or dynamic IP's within the network (judging by what you say I am guessing static, but thought I would clarify). Have you tried pinging each IP?
Are all computers using the same netmask range (255.255.255.0 or however you have it set)?

snoopy
29-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Do you have any firewalls going beside the std XP one ?

If so make sure the IPs/IP range you are using for the PCs are allowed through...

GraemeL
29-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. On shutting down Zone Alarm on my PC, I can see from the laptop all the printers I have shared on my PC and so can print from the laptop to the Brother almost instantly. :) :)

I am not clear on what an IP is or what it does and how to find out what it is for each computer. :confused:

Once I find them, do I add these into ZA's trusted zone if I decide to keep running with ZA as well as the firewall within the router?

snoopy
29-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Here's how you find your IP address on each PC

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1372#2000

yes, you put the range or IPs into the trusted zone, put a range if you are using DHCP to allocate the IPs or just the IPs if you have manually allocated the IPs.

Renmoo
30-06-2006, 01:26 AM
I am not clear on what an IP is or what it does and how to find out what it is for each computer. :confused:
1) (On XP computer) Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
2) Type in "ipconfig" (without the quotation marks). Hit the return key after typing out the command
3) You will see the words "IP Address", with few numbers appearing somewhere below the command that you have entered, as shown below (this is what I see in my own computer's command prompt, which will vary between machines):

PPP adapter Xtra:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 210.54.121.97

The xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa indicate your IP address.

Cheers :)