PDA

View Full Version : Download Question

allblack
28-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Evening all.

Slight problem.

Until recently, I would d/l a file and the d/l box would say "Download Complete", and the file would be sitting on my desktop. If I clicked on Open File, a pop-up box would tell me file has been saved to the desktop.

Nice.

However, recently something has gone skew-whiff and the d/l doesn't automatically save to the desktop, and I'm having a helluva time trying to do so.

My recent d/l's appear to have been saved, somewhere south of Uzbekistan, and I can't find them...

So, question is. What do I change/undo that will have the d/l save automatically to the desktop as per the last 5 years?

Many thanks
Tim

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2006, 09:42 PM
What browser have you got? IE? Opera? Firefox?

Pancake
28-06-2006, 10:00 PM
If your download has not been reset you can download something else and see what the path it was saved to.You should then be able to find your other ones there also.

Sweep
29-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Also I would suggest you do not download to the desktop. If your version of Windows get munged you will lose them anyway. Have two partitions on the hard drive if you only have one drive and save all data to the second partition. This will not help if you only have one drive and it fails.

SurferJoe46
29-06-2006, 04:13 AM
If you are using Firefox (and WHO wouldn't?), the default is to save them to the desktop..but that's just gonna mess the desktop up really bad...so...

Whilst on Firefox, click on Tools>>Options, and click on the little brown box with the green arrow pointing downward (Downloads), and then see where the downloads are set to go. If it has something in the address bar that you did not set that way, you can change it here.

You CAN use the "Ask Me Where To Save Every File" but that gets tedious.

I set aside an area off my root drive for saving downloads...I made a folder called "FF Dnlds Here" and that way I can find them each and every time I want to know where they are.

Here's another tip:

Make a sub-folder in the FF Downloads area and call it: "Completed FF Dnlds", and drag the older downloads that you executed or installed there. That way if you mess up a file or something that you got thru Firefox, you can go and re-install it again using the same .exe file.

If you need to find where the file went that you just downloaded (in Firefox), just hover on the words at the bottom of the Firefox download manager, and there'll be a hidden button there that will divulge where they are going if you click on it.

Hope that helps a little. I never use IE for any downloads at all...FF makes it easy to right click the unopened downloads and then scan them for viruses and junk whilst still in that unexecuted condition. :nerd:

allblack
29-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys - appreciate your comments.

Using the Beta IE found on MS site (7)?

Cheers
Tim

Shortcircuit
29-06-2006, 09:38 AM
if you're using IE the files will be saved somewhere else, but as is normal with M/Soft finding them aint easy :rolleyes:

Best idea is to do a search through Windows:

Start> search> type in part of the file name and search for 'all files and folders'.

If the file you want comes up in the list I think you just click on it to open the folder it's in, or note down where it is and navigate to the folder in explorer.

As for changing the default download location in IE, can't help you there :(

tweak'e
29-06-2006, 10:58 AM
<rant> Why are people even bothering to run BETA software and especially as MS software is buggy enough when its finished. also a browser which is critical as far as use and security is concerned.

If they are BETA testers for MS in which case they certainly wouldn't be asking here for help. i seriously do not understand WHY people would bother using a major program which is unfinished, wait till the software is final before using it.

</rant>

Shortcircuit
29-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Some people get confused between 'better' and 'beta' tweak'e

I'm not sure that I'd trust IE even if it were finished :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
29-06-2006, 01:52 PM
The real argument is that IE is not safe in ANY version, especially unpatched and again ANY Beta version.

Not using a safer browser and platform is just suicidal! :mad: