View Full Version : Boot Problem

rocky138
28-06-2006, 06:53 PM
My system is:
Athon 64 3500
1GB Ram
160 GB SATA HD
GeForce 7800GT Graphics.

HD is partitioned by XP to run 2 OS’s & a data partition.
The OS’s are both XP Pro sp1
One is used for office & the other for gaming.
Both accessed by standard XP duel boot.
Office has the internet con, anti virus, anti spy etc.
Gamer has only the basics. I use it mainly for driving simulators & it goes very well.
This combination normally works very well.
Twice when I have been out of the room the gamer has shut down, tried to reboot & come up with: Unable to start because of missing or corrupt:
“WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM” file.
I was still able to boot into office & find the suspect file but not able to view it or open it with any associate programme.
I’ve had to reinstall the OS to the gamer partition to fix the problem both times.
Chances are this will happen again, any ideas?

straitjacket
29-06-2006, 06:59 AM
The only time I ever had that error was on a pc company machine that had a dodgy mainboard/ram...never found a way to repair windows as that file seems to be compiled during the install...hopefully someone else can tell you more :(

pctek
29-06-2006, 09:53 AM
HD is partitioned by XP to run 2 OS’s & a data partition.
The OS’s are both XP Pro sp1
One is used for office & the other for gaming.
Both accessed by standard XP duel boot.
Office has the internet con, anti virus, anti spy etc.
Gamer has only the basics. I use it mainly for driving simulators & it goes very well.

Why would you do that? I can't see any reason for dual booting the same O/S.
Are you on broadband? If so booting with no AV etc is asking for trouble.
And I'm not surprised XP has a problem often.

tweak'e
29-06-2006, 10:49 AM
generally speaking that error messages means the registry is corupt or missing.

whats causeing it to be corupt......thats the tricky bit.

rocky138
29-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Why would you do that? I can't see any reason for dual booting the same O/S.
Are you on broadband? If so booting with no AV etc is asking for trouble.
And I'm not surprised XP has a problem often.

The gaming os has no internet con & runs no installed sofware other than the os & device drivers. This is to get the maximum into the games. Even the games themselves are intalled onto the data partition. I have run several other systems like this. The main differences are: This has a SATA HD & I have partitioned with XP instead of Partition Magic.

rocky138
29-06-2006, 01:08 PM
generally speaking that error messages means the registry is corupt or missing.

whats causeing it to be corupt......thats the tricky bit.

My wife saw it the first time it died & said it was doing a memory dump.
Both times it was left with a game running but paused at the start of a new event.

Graham L
29-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Run a memory tester. If data are being corrupted, it's often flakey memory.

rocky138
29-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Run a memory tester. If data are being corrupted, it's often flakey memory.

Memory tester?
What would recomend.

SolMiester
29-06-2006, 03:55 PM
The gaming os has no internet con & runs no installed sofware other than the os & device drivers. This is to get the maximum into the games. Even the games themselves are intalled onto the data partition. I have run several other systems like this. The main differences are: This has a SATA HD & I have partitioned with XP instead of Partition Magic.

This is the same pc using the same hardware, how is the pc connected to the internet?, router?, any pc connected to a router has internet connection...

I cant see this as a memory problem as the same memory is used on the other o/s.

With no a/v on the game o/s, i would imagine nasties are the cause on the problem.

Graham L
29-06-2006, 04:17 PM
It has a physical connection to the box. But much more than that is needed. Unless the network software is setup in an OS and enabled there is no "Internet connection".

Games are likely to use more memory than Office applications. I hope that office applications which use all of 1GB are rare, even with a memory hungry OS.

Memory is always a suspect.

Memtest86, and Memtest86+ are good bets. Free. Just make sure to get the correct image file to make a bootable floppy, or CD.

zqwerty
29-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Does this happen on only the one game or more than one?

rocky138
29-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your input, but let me clarify, I have only a dialup conection on my office os & that is fully protected. So it is impossible to be on line when I am on the gamer.
I doubt if this problem is intenet related.
Re memory, as Graham says "a suspect" & I will check is out.

rocky138
29-06-2006, 05:43 PM
The first time is was in V8 Supercars3 & the second in V8 Supercars2
I must add that have been just about right through GT Legends running at max settings without a problem & this is the hungryest game I have.
Some other system specs that may help:

HD Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3GB/s
RAM A-Data Dual Channel 2x512MB DDR-SDRAM DIM DDR400
CPU AMD K8 Athlon64 3511+Socket 939 Venice Core
MB Foxcon NF4K8AC-8EKRS

Rob99
29-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Next time just delete the bad software file and replace with the origional from the windows disc.

Suspect hardware fault, trial and error.

rocky138
29-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Ran Memtest86+ & got zero errors.

Graham L
30-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Your problem is an intermittent one. Try the memory tester next time it happens. ;)

Memory problems often occur at higher temperatures. The middle of winter is probably not the best time to find them. ;)

rocky138
30-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Thank you Graham, I will try that if/when it happens again.
What did you think of Rob99' solution?

Graham L
30-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure about that. That file looks to be the sort of thing which is generated during a system installation. The default one on the CD might be OK to do an installation, but might not be what's needed for full use of your hardware. Executable files, and DLLs, yes. But configuration files are usually very installation-specific.

rocky138
30-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Thats what I thought.
I have made a copy of the installed file as it is now & saved it for future reference.

SolMiester
30-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Graham, for the record, if a box has a DHCP address to a router, NO o/s config is require by user, for the o/s to use that internet connection, hence my question.

SolMiester
30-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Rocky, some boards are fussy when it comes to which dual channel bank to use with only 2 out of the 4 slots. Try moving the sticks to the other dual channel bank, ie: the other 2 slots

rocky138
30-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Had wondered about that when I put it all together.
There are 2 Yellow & 2 Blue slots numbered 0,1, 2,3
The manual was a bit vague as to which pair to use, indicating either but not a mixture so I oppted for 0&1.
I will try them in 2&3.

rocky138
30-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Re startup & recovery, system failure,write debugging information.
What would be the best memory dump setting for my situation.

SolMiester
30-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Bah, i never bother with the memory dump, it is a 4 day course to understand that ****e!!!.

Cant see the point. Might pay NOT to have automatic restart, that way you can id a device error.

straitjacket
30-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Graham, for the record, if a box has a DHCP address to a router, NO o/s config is require by user, for the o/s to use that internet connection, hence my question.

wouldnt that depend on wether or not the user had disabled the pc ethernet adapter through device manager?

Rob99
01-07-2006, 12:30 AM
The software file is put there upon installation, there is also a hardware file, these are updated when software and hardware is added.
If you replace with the copies off the CD you will have your computer back in minutes without a format, but you will need to apply your drivers and updates again. Never tried backing those files up once the computer is setup, may work.