PDA

View Full Version : Linux - KDE 3.5.3 Wheres my CDrom gone?

personthingy
28-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I've just upgraded to KDE 3.5.3, and i don't seem to be able to access my CD drive as such. Programs that use it see it and work fine, but i cant browse a CDs contents. Previously it was a nice simple icon that i would click upon and a window would open allowing me to see the drives content, same as any other. Anyway to get this basic feature back?

Jen
28-06-2006, 06:22 PM
A couple of things come to mind, but try this first. Right-click on the desktop and select "Configure Desktop", then click on Behaviour. Check you have selected "Show icons on desktop" and then under the Device Icon tab, make sure you have selected "Show Device Icons" and the appropriate actions to go with them.

Second option is to look under Control Panel > Peripherals > Storage Media and see if things look OK there. :)

personthingy
03-07-2006, 10:37 PM
....... and select "Configure Desktop", then click on Behaviour. Check you have selected "Show icons on desktop" and then under the Device Icon tab, make sure you have selected "Show Device Icons" and the appropriate actions to go with them.Thats all good.. I should have a Desktop utterly littered with stuff, "show icons on desktop" is ticked, and so is just about everything in the device tab.

Second option is to look under Control Panel > Peripherals > Storage Media and see if things look OK there. :)Now this one looks a mess :( there's a whole set of icons relating to what we might do with a disk, such as "play DVD" but none have properties to edit. I added unmounted CD and mounted CD and the form decided that the correct command to associate with these was "konqueror %u" sounds good, but no prize so far.

When i take my /home USB drive onto my friends machine that's also running Mepis3.4-3, but hasn't had the KDE3.5.3 update, i got all that stuff back, and i get to see the USB drive (/personthingys-home) as well. Hmmmmmmm.....

Jen
03-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I forgot that you have a movable /home. The user KDE config files live in your /home so you may have conflicts from the two major versions. You could always try renaming ~/.kde and restart X. See if things look more sensibile after that. You will of course lose your customisations/themes etc with a new default .kde ... You can put back your original .kde if it didn't help. :)