PDA

View Full Version : help hook wireless to telstra cable network

davygravy
28-06-2006, 12:57 PM
any help. I have telstra high speed cable and want to hook wireless router to this. I bought d link di 524 router and have had trouble getting it to pick up internet. have been in touch with d link - helpful but haven't solved my prblem. telstra - totally unhelpful (not interested in anything past their cable connection to the house). ascent technology - website I bought router from suggested that telstra was purposely blocking use of routers because they don't want more computors connected to network but other users have said that they have this same wireless router working on the telstra network.
have got to the stage that I want to sell router on trademe. HELP!!

Master_Frost
28-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I know the comment about Telstra blocking this is tottal nonsence as i have known people to do this.

I have never set this up myself however, the cable modem uses a static IP to communicate with the cable network. I would think you may need to set the router in the same range and subnet so it can talk to the modem.

The client machines will need to be set to obtain IP, as the router acts as a DHCP server.

Oh and dissable any firewalls while doing this. If you run ZA uninstall it completely.

plod
28-06-2006, 01:44 PM
IT,S not a problem. I do it on my belkin router on the telstra network, so it has to be in the setup somewhere.
Routers usually come with a good detup tutorial if you are not confident to do it manually.
How far have you gotten?
Can you hook up directly to the router onto the internet?