PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Scroll Wheel

pctek
27-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I have a Logitech MX510 mouse. Suddenly the scroll wheel didn't scroll, nor did my middle click work with it.

Wasn't using the driver so loaded it but it made no difference, even playing around with the scroll options for it.

Tried another Logitech mouse, yep, that worked with the scroll wheel.

Since then the wheel works intermittently. As I type, middle click is working again now.

Any ideas?

zqwerty
27-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Dust and fluff in the detecter apertures, blow it out with compressed air can, or dissemble and clean by blowing with mouth and at the same time put some white grease on the moving parts. If the switch is intermittent, use a sewing needle to put a drop or two of WD40 down where the small activator button is on the micro switch.

Also could be a broken wire right where the cord goes into the mouse, this too can be fixed by an expert.

SurferJoe46
27-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Aha! Another use for WD-40.

Add it to the list.

pctek
27-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Dust and fluff in the detecter apertures, blow it out with compressed air can, or dissemble and clean by blowing with mouth and at the same time put some white grease on the moving parts. If the switch is intermittent, use a sewing needle to put a drop or two of WD40 down where the small activator button is on the micro switch.

Also could be a broken wire right where the cord goes into the mouse, this too can be fixed by an expert.
Its not the cord, done plenty of those operations back when mice were super expensive (in the dark ages).

I'll try the cleaning thing.....I had though it could be an accumulation of cat fur and chip crumbs.
Or do you think cold would have an affect? MY CPU was 13 yesterday when I first switched on....

Shortcircuit
27-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Frozen cat fur and chip crumbs could have an adverse effect, however I thought Logitec tested their mice down to -20... should still work in the Deep South, but maybe only in summertime :D

I've got an MX 1000 and it gets crap under the left/right click bits, advanced technical procedure requires the mouse to be turned upside down and bashed repeatedly on the desk.

OK- I'm sure the SPCA will be banging on the door any time now

pctek
28-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Frozen cat fur and chip crumbs could have an adverse effect,
I've got an MX 1000 and it gets crap under the left/right click bits, advanced technical procedure requires the mouse to be turned upside down and bashed repeatedly on the desk.

:lol: :lol:

pctek
28-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Caution:
When dismantling an MX510 do not tip it upside down and remove the top, the fiddly little wire and spring falls out and then you have no idea where they go.

It wasn't fluffy really, one or two hairs but it could have had something to do with the wire positioning, as I left them both out and reassembled it and now its perfect again.