PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM System Lockup

B.M.
27-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I did a format of a mateís computer and the reinstallation of everything went fine until I went to load some utilities, (WinZip Acrobat Reader etc) which I have burned to disk.

As soon as I put any of the disks I have burned into the CD ROM it locks up the whole system and the only way out is the power switch. :horrified An arrow/hour glass appear on screen and the light stays on permanently on the CD ROM. :confused:

Now, the CD ROM is an old Quad Speed, but having said that, it had no problem with the original installation disks or music disks.

The disks Iíve burned have been at 8X so could that be the problem? However, the disks Iíve burned can be readily read by every other CD ROM Iíve tried them in. :)

Whilst on the subject of disk burning speed, the only reason I use 8x is because I read somewhere that the disks burn better, last longer, and have less errors at slower speeds. Would anyone like to comment on this theory?

MushHead
27-06-2006, 11:23 AM
You may find that your old quad-speed CDROM is completely unable to read ANY CDR disc. I've found this on a few old drives - I remember having to upgrade my old 8x drive to a 32x because it was quite flaky reading any CDR, regardless of the speed at which it was written (back then, we only had a 2x writer!)

autechre
27-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I agree with MushHead in that an ancient 4x CD-ROM will probably not recognise any CD-R's or CD-RW's at all. If it was a CD-Writer then it should read the burnt discs ok.

As for speed of burning, I don't think it matters too much, it's more about using high quality media rather than cheap'n'nasty :)

autechre
27-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh, I have an Asus 40x CD-ROM sitting here doing nothing if you want to replace that 4x relic :)