PDA

View Full Version : ADSL modem use both ethernet and USB

Heather J
27-06-2006, 10:01 AM
We have a desktop connected to an Xtra ADSL modem, also have a laptop, used for a home business, which is not connected to the internet, no real need for it, (only use it at wireless hotspots when we are away from home). Is it possible to use both the Ethernet (for the desktop) and the USB (for the laptop) connections on the modem at the same time? This would only be when my tertiary student children arrive home for the holidays and 'hog' the destop. (They have a restraning order they are not allowed within 2 metres my laptop...grin). Thanks

Skinnerjack
27-06-2006, 10:23 AM
no
you can use one or the other, best to route the modem to a switch hub and ethernet to the desktop and others

PaulD
27-06-2006, 10:53 AM
That would depend on the modem. If the modem can support multiple PCs via switch or hub on the Ethernet port, it can probably handle USB and Ethernet.

straitjacket
27-06-2006, 09:01 PM
if it's a d-link dsl 302g or dsl-502t it can support both ethernet and usb connection simultaneously

Ferg
27-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Skinnerjacks right, connect the modem to an Ethernet switch (available off trade-me for about $20.00) . Then plug all the other comps into the switch as well.

I've got an XP system and a Win98 both using a DSL-302G modem quite happily to connect to the internet and each other, and any other machines that come in simply plug into the switch.

Works really well and an inexpensive solution.

Ferg

PaulD
27-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Heather J only wants 2 connections so far and a DSL 302G will do that without any further expense.

Heather J
28-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my question.
The modem is indeed a DSL-302G, so will give it a go using both connections.
Yes, it is only a few weeks a year I need two connections so it seems a very easy solution to plug into the one modem.
I will keep a switch hub in mind if our circumstances change.
Thanks so much again Heather

drcspy
28-06-2006, 09:32 AM
to those of you who said not possible

how about you actually talk from EXPERIENCE because you have just given out totally incorrect information

I guess you havent even tried this ?............what makes you say 'no it's not possible' did you try it..................

actually it will work perfectly and it's very simple to do......and it WILL work I've done this on a number of occasions on folks systems for them.......

grrrrrrrrrrrr.........i get annoyed by folks who make unequivocal statements like NO ! but are totally incorrect and obviously dont have a clue what they are talking about......

Greg
28-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Chill bro. Only one person said no more or less unequivocally. All others said yes or a modified yes.

Heather J
28-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Oh dear, if I had looked up the D-Link DSL-302G web page it would have told me

'Two computers can simultaneously connect to the DSL-302G through its USB and Ethernet port to share its high-speed Internet connection'

This would have saved you time to solve other people's problems. I will do more research before I ask another question

Hopefully it will be a plug and play with USB or I may be back (after a bit of research on the net)!!!!

Thanks again

Ferg
28-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning :mad: ....... maybe a Spanish football fan??

drcspy
28-06-2006, 11:21 AM
NO i didn't get out of bed on the wrong side and as for football it barely rates a mention in my world.......

the simple fact is that someone gave totally incorrect advice.....and that's bad.

Heather J
28-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks to all - its all go.
Roll on the holidays - a continually emptying fridge, hot water disappearing, piles of strange washing and two modem connections :) will suddenly happen.