PDA

View Full Version : Windows slow-down since hard drive swap

Greg
27-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I swapped my second hard drive yesterday from an 80gig Seagate to a 120 gig Seagate. It's on the same primary slave position as the previous one. But now I've noticed general Windows taking a noticeable bit longer to happen, eg opening something from the Start menu or from a desktop shortcut, or viewing and deleteing the contents of the recycle bin.

Applications, once running, don't seem to be affected. Is there anything in the process that could have caused this? The second drive doesn't have any applications on it, but as before it contains the swap file - this time on it's own dedicated partition.

The primary master drive is untouched, ie exactly as it was before. The new drive is a bit different to the old one, in that it's divided into three partitions; a Primary partition, and an extended partition, which contains two logical drives, one of which as I say is for the swap file, sized 25gigs.

Thanks for any insight.

PaulD
27-06-2006, 09:43 AM
No idea why it's slower but - Why 25G for swap? You can't have enough physical memory to need that much. If the second drive is on the same IDE controller, having the swap on it won't be much advantage as the OS can only talk to 1 drive on each controller at a time. Have you tried creating another swap file in the same partition as the OS ?

Greg
27-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Well actually the 25gig swap partition is also gonna be used for temporary storage, eg when ripping CD's or DVD's.

I didn't know it was useless having the swap on the same IDE channel *doh*

And nope, haven't tried having my swap on my opsys partition - it's a bit small (only 5 gigs)

Would you suggest I put my second drive as Secondary Master and move my DVD drive to Secondary slave?

Ta for your input.

drcspy
27-06-2006, 09:54 AM
a 25 gb swap file is RIDICULOUSLY large.........FAR TOO large.......change it to 1gb........controlpanel/system/advanced/performance/advanced.......change...type in 1024 in BOTH boxes then clik SET......then ok/ok......etc......

Greg
27-06-2006, 10:49 AM
As per my response above:

Well actually the 25gig swap partition is also gonna be used for temporary storage, eg when ripping CD's or DVD's.
Swap file size isn't 25 gigs - that's the size of the partition it's on. I've got it set at 1534 - 3068, which has always been fine in the past. Any reason to change it?

tweak'e
27-06-2006, 12:16 PM
the pc proberly a bit slower due to the indexing service scanning the drive in the background and the AV will be to.