PDA

View Full Version : Database Applications

Myth
26-06-2006, 07:45 PM
My g/f is looking for a database app that can be used offline ONLY, and is not buggy (which in her opinion counts out Access). She can get Access (she has Office 2000 Pro) but can't stand it.
I'm not sure what the database part of OpenOffice2 is like, but she is wondering are there any stand-alone database applications?
Free would be great but if we cant find one suitable we may look at purchasing.
The use of this app will be mainly customer records etc.

Prefer something that will run on 98SE

Morgenmuffel
26-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I hate to say it but, stick with Access if you know it and have it, as there are umpteen books about it and online tutorials and sites where access gurus can help you
Besides once the database is written and working, if it is set up properly you shouldn't really get any problems

The open office database component is Ok from what litle i have seen, but when i tried to use it a few months ago it was hard to find a wide community for support with problems, although Solvieg Hauglands blog contains a few simple tutorials and guides
http://openoffice.blogs.com/

Parry
27-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Both Access and OO are stand alone applications - they just happen to have released several apps in the one package. If you dont like Access then there are others but most dont come with a front end (eg MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server) but there are third party front ends if you need one.

MMNZ
27-06-2006, 04:31 PM
If you use OO.org you can easily connect to almost any database server. OO.org also connects to mdb (Access databases) and has a similar graphical tool like access.

If you install MySQL (e.g. using lampp or xampp) and use OO.org as frontend you can always switch to a different frontend in the future.

What exactly is her prob with Access? The frontend, the database itself, the SQL part ???