PDA

View Full Version : Kaputt CD Drive..

PaulBNZ
26-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi guys,
My CD Drive(also a CDRW and DVD combo) has been acting very strange recently. When I insert a CD or DVD for that matter, the green LED on the drive flashes and the hard drive light on the tower flashes but nothing happens. The CD doesn't show up in Windows Explorer.
I know this is isn't very specific but does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? I am stumped as Windows seems to think the device is working properly.
Thanks,
Paul

Vallis
26-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Go to Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.Check that the drive is there and that it has a drive letter allocated.
If it doesn't have a drive letter, I think the routine is:
right click on the drive's graphic and choose "Change Drive Letter & Path.
Allocate a drive letter.

PaulBNZ
26-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I have XP but I can't find the Admin Tools on the start>all programs menu....is there another way I can get to it?
Paul

PaulBNZ
26-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Never mind, I found it in COntrol Panel.
It is assigned with the letter 'E' and it alls seems alright. Perhaps it is a hardware problem with the CD-ROM drive? I cannot tell you the make and model, XP just gives me a long list of numbers.
Paul

Vallis
26-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Right click on the Task Bar.
Select Properties.
Click Start Menu tab.
Click Customize button.
Click Advanced tab.
Scroll down to "System Administrative Tools".
Select one of the first 2 options.

PaulBNZ
27-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Hey, I was thinking of possibly replacing the old drive completely and starting fresh. If I was to do this I think perhaps a DVD writer would come in handy for backing up large files etc.
What do you guys think o fthis one? It seems like a bargain at $60.http://pcsale.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1418&osCsid=cbcbd6492727d0d454e9c02e30678a61
Cheers

Billy T
27-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Samsung make good drives. I've had one for some years and found it ultra reliable burning all types of media.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Tukapa
28-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Personally I wouldn't touch Samsung. From all the PC's I have built I have returned three Samsung DVD writers under warranty. I have never returned an Asus or a Liteon. They would be my preference.

:2cents:

EDIT

They were all the same model so maybe it was a problem Samsung had with that particular model. New models could be OK but they have done their biccies with me.

PaulBNZ
28-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys.
I have never really done anything on a computer so if I got this drive would it be pretty simple to install it?Is it just plug-n-play these days?
I have a guide that came with my PC that shows me how to install it inside the actual tower, but I am a bit worried about messing up the software bit.
Any and all help appreciated..
Paul

Bob_the_lob
02-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi People

I have a very similar problem to PaulBNZ.
I have a Samsung TS H552U CD/DVD RW. When a CD or DVD is inserted into the drive the light flashes for about 15 seconds and I can hear it spinning, but it does not show up in "my computer" (the drive shows up but it says it's empty).

In order to be able to use CD's or DVD's I have to restart my pc with the disc in the drive, and it then works fine until it is ejected, at which point it refuses to show any cd/dvd (even the one that was in there before).

Nero seems to be able to recognise CD/DVD's in the drive even while windows won't.

I was just fiddling with it last night and it would come up with the correct contents of cd's and dvd's (which is unusual) but not the correct name of each disc.

I can't remember how long my drive's been doing this, but it wasn't always doing it. It has just taken a while for me to be frustrated by it enough to bother taking time to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance
"Bob"