PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Legitimate Movie Downloads

Vallis
26-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I have no experience with downloading movies. Following search results produces a plethora of illegal and ripoff sites.
Any pointers to legit movie download sites would be much appreciated.

rob_on_guitar
26-06-2006, 06:38 PM
You mean to purchase? on for free downloads?

Vallis
26-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I mean to purchase. I'm presuming that the free download sites are illegal.

rob_on_guitar
26-06-2006, 07:57 PM
To download by purchase I guess Movielink or Cinemanow (google them to have a look), or you to order off the net Amazon. Hope that helps, I too have trouble finding a decent site.

Renmoo
26-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Movielink is only available to US residents:

Thanks for your interest in Movielink, the leading movie download service. Sorry, but Movielink is presently unavailable to users outside of the United States.

Cheers :)

rob_on_guitar
26-06-2006, 09:52 PM
My bad sorry. :o

Renmoo
26-06-2006, 10:00 PM
My bad sorry. :o
Don't worry. When I read about movielink in PCWorld US version, I thought it is available for the whole world. Upon checking out the website, I found that it is limited to only the Yanks. (by any chance, is this a derogatory word?) :annoyed:

Laura
26-06-2006, 10:38 PM
It is slang, James.
Some people may find it derogatory, depending on how it is used - jokingly or in a sarcastic fashion.
It's not as common here nowadays as it was a few decades ago - perhaps because some people did find it derogatory..?

MTLance
26-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Movies Downloads? Why not buy the DVD? It is a lot cheaper. Than download.

SurferJoe46
27-06-2006, 07:40 AM
<snipped> I found that it is limited to only the Yanks. (by any chance, is this a derogatory word?) :annoyed:

Don't worry James, the word "Yank" has a few different meanings, but you are not capable of delivering an insulting one.

The insulting version comes from the bitter Civil War when the North v The South in the right to secede from the Union and keep slavery intact as they (The South) saw fit. It was soundly voted down in perhaps the deadliest war in US History.

The term then was derogatory and slanderous as the Confederates employed it, and today there are soft-spoken jokes about it; inner-circle wise.

The Southerners used it kinda this way: Yank, (From Webster's at the date) (verb): a jerk; to pull with force, cause a change in position by physical means. (noun) slang terminology contraction of "Yankee", a reference to the people or persons living North of the geo-political Mason-Dixon line separating the US Northern Union and the Southern Confederate States during the Civil War.

Most Southerners prefer the first verb definition: a jerk.

Hearing that term from a Brit or NZ'r or Australian does not conjure up any disrespectful reaction by most Americans. We hear it with amusement and no ill-will at all. Fact has it that it was a term of endearment by the British during WW-II, in speaking about the US military that was there for the liberation. As for the helpful occupation troops AFTER the war...well, that's a different story..

Strommer
27-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Movies Downloads? Why not buy the DVD? It is a lot cheaper. Than download.

Vallis, I also am wondering why you or anyone would bother to download a movie. Even if the movie is not available at your local VidEzy or other shop, there are the online NZ shops like Fatso or Amazon in the USA.

So why bother? :confused:

Vallis
27-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Don't know!
I'm just checking out the options. I never remember to record the decent movies on Sky, the video shops are full of rubbish.
I'm doing the sums to see if downloading movies, cancelling Sky movie package and upping my Internet bandwidth would make economic sense.

Vallis
27-06-2006, 10:01 AM
...........Hearing that term from a Brit or NZ'r or Australian does not conjure up any disrespectful reaction by most Americans............

I don't suppose the Iraqis have cottoned onto the ancient Anglo-Saxon phrase "Go Home Yank" yet - or was it Celtic? :-)
Then there was the traditional warcry of: "overpaid, over sexed and over here".

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Strommer
27-06-2006, 10:31 AM
the video shops are full of rubbish.

Yep, lots of rubbish, but if you hunt carefully there are some gems.
Have a look at my post here. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=465845&posted=1#post465845)

Master_Frost
27-06-2006, 11:06 AM
It is not worth paying for downloaded movies and THEN having to pay for ridiculously data cap (plans) to do it here in NZ. Makes for a very expensive download.

From a cost point of view the only realistic way to do it is pirate the movies which of course can't be condoned, however it is the reality here in NZ.

Luckily attitudes are changing, however Telecom have done a great job on programming people into thinking these ridiculous data caps are necessary due to the cost of International capacity, which is expensive but NOT that expensive.

FoxyMX
27-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Not too long ago there was a thread on hiring movies online and getting them delivered. From memory several people mentioned that they were able to get good movies that the local hire shops don't generally stock. That would seem to be the best option.

Steve_L, weren't you one of the members who hired movies this way?

Vallis
27-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the help folks.

Feelers
27-06-2006, 02:20 PM
I believe that there is a rather large gap in our copyright law, which states that you are allowed to "own" a copy of something, such as a movie for a period of three days, after which you must destroy your copy if you didnt buy the rights to the original.

Perhaps someone can confirm this to be true? Since it sounds like you want to do things the legal way - it would be fine if this is the case.....

BTW - I'm not some crackpot, :lol: I am about 90% sure this is how the system works, it stems from the law about hiring copyright stuff I think.

rob_on_guitar
27-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I like going to the warehouse. The DVDs there are pretty cheap. :thumbs: