PDA

View Full Version : How do you open the case?

Beemer
25-06-2006, 11:04 PM
This is going to sound really dumb, but I bought an Ethernet card last week to install in my computer in preparation for getting broadband (at last!). I asked how I installed it and was told where it went and what to do and I figured it sounded pretty basic and I could do it myself.

Except... tonight I followed the instructions and left the computer plugged in but turned off at the wall, and then went to remove the case around my hard drive. And I found I had NO IDEA how to remove it! I unscrewed five large round screws at the back but that did nothing as the case appears to be riveted on. I know it must come off because I've had other things installed and repairs done, but I spent ages looking and am still none the wiser! I realise there are gazillions of different computers out there, but I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some idea of where to be looking to get the cover off! I have a PC Company tower-style hard drive with a CD drive at the top and a floppy disk drive about halfway down the front.

I know I sound really blonde (but I haven't been since I was about 20!) but it's not like they cover this anywhere! I had a look at all the guff that came with the computer but even in the part about installing a modem, the only instruction it gives is "carefully remove the cover..." BUT HOW?????

(PS, Does this qualify as the dumbest question ever asked?)

FoxyMX
25-06-2006, 11:08 PM
The PC Co. cases that I have come across need to have the plastic front removed to expose the screws that undo the sides.

Slip your hand underneath the front and feel around for a latch then pull it forward and slightly upwards if you find one.

Jen
25-06-2006, 11:08 PM
The PC Co cases are designed to be hard to get into and believe me you are not the first to ask this same question. :)

To open it, put you hand under the bottom front edge and pull out and upwards. This will remove the front plastic section and you can then access the screws inside that hold the case sides in place.

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Some cases open from the front. Even tho, you unscrew from the back.

Hitech
25-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Unscrew all the screws from the back of the tower and slide the cover back from the tower,IBM had towers like this they are hard to take off at first but once you get the hang of it then its easy.

Jen
25-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Unscrew all the screws from the back of the tower and slide the cover back from the tower,IBM had towers like this they are hard to take off at first but once you get the hang of it then its easy.Not with these cases. They only have rivets at the back of the case. You access the case from the front underneath the plastic casing.

Edit: the only screws you need to remove at the back are the ones holding the back of the motherboard for the ports. You only need to remove these if you want to swing out the motherboard on that side. Access from the other side doesn't normally require these back screws to be removed.

tweak'e
25-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Unscrew all the screws from the back of the tower
be warned. be carefull what the screws hold in. you might be unscrewing the power supply which can fall into the pc damageing parts.

gibler
25-06-2006, 11:24 PM
The following is a true story. Some guy proudly showed up to a computer shop with a case he had opened himself ... by drilling out all the rivets. My workmate tells me that the case structure was somewhat affected since it seemed to sway about. :lol:

Myth
25-06-2006, 11:32 PM
As said, PC Company case open from the front with a place for you fingers underneath. It just pulls out (with a little bit of force). The screws at the back are the PSU screws from memory. If this is the case, I would put these back in, as the screws for the side panels are situated behind the front plastic panel

Beemer
25-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks everyone, I honestly thought it was one of those stupid questions that I'd get laughed at for posting! I am definitely of the don't force anything in case you break it variety but I just slipped my fingers underneath the front of the case and pulled gently on both sides and voila, it opened! I will now do all the safe things like turning everything off and see how I go. I knew there had to be a way in and you have all shown me the way!

Thanks!

Metla
25-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Blah blah blah.

There is 20 trillion billion gazzilion different case designs, From simple right through to open a window and throw the pile of &^$$ infront of a bus.

Without identification of the case this is all nonsence, Show us a pic.

dolby digital
26-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Blah blah blah.

There is 20 trillion billion gazzilion different case designs, From simple right through to open a window and throw the pile of &^$$ infront of a bus.

Without identification of the case this is all nonsence, Show us a pic.
Grumps :p ... he/she got it open anyways

Beemer
26-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I would have posted a pic but I couldn't see any way (must be my night for blindness...) of attaching one to my post. (I belong to another forum that uses the same layout but it has fields for loading photos, etc.)

I figured that the majority of people on this site who repair computers would be familiar with PC Company computers and as there was not a huge variety of cases with theirs, it was highly likely someone would know how to get into the case. And within minutes, many helpful people had come to my aid and I very quickly figured out how to get the case open. The addition of the right sized Phillips screwdriver made the operation totally painless!

And now, at a not-indecent hour of the night, I have SOLVED the problem of how to open the case, installed my Ethernet card and the enclosed software, and can sleep the sleep of a person who is happy she was able to do all this from the comfort of her own home and at no cost!

Thank you all, I feel quite proud of myself now! And you would NEVER have guessed I'd never played around with the insides of a computer before, would you? Oh wait, I tell a lie - my old Mac LC475 needed a new battery once and I did take the cover off that to install it! Oh, and I remember now, I had to ring Magnum Mac and ask how to remove the old battery... do I detect a theme developing here?

Anyway, a BIG thank you for all the VERY useful advice.

PS, after all my success, I hope the card IS installed properly! I noticed an adjacent card had the connecting slots firmly in place but when I tried to - gently - push the Ethernet card into the white slots and then screw it in, it moved slightly, so the connecting bits weren't as deeply pushed in. I tried a few times but each time I went to screw it in, it would move again so I gave up! There seemed to be no way of screwing it in without it moving.

Metla
26-06-2006, 12:28 AM
1. I rapidly went through your post, Missing all key details including the case description.
2. Then I decided everyone else was sending you up the wrong path by assuming it was a PC-Company tower.
3. I posted
4. Muhahahahaha.

Beemer
26-06-2006, 12:33 AM
1. I rapidly went through your post, Missing all key details including the case description.
2. Then I decided everyone else was sending you up the wrong path by assuming it was a PC-Company tower.
3. I posted
4. Muhahahahaha.

You are hereby forgiven. Speed reading is an admirable quality... except when posting in online forums!

FoxyMX
26-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Speaking of cases, it took me half an hour to get inside a fugly little Compaq PC last week. :blush:

Darn thing had several dozen screws at the back of it, none of which looked like the right ones to undo and the plastic front was stuck as tight as a paua on a rock so I was well and truly baffled.

Right at the last minute when I was ready to throw the thing out the window I once more undid the two screws that could only be the correct ones and had the brilliant idea of yanking on this metal handle type of thing at the back. Lo and behold the inside frame slid neatly out of the case on runners just like those secret doors that magically open on games like Tomb Raider when you solve the puzzle (not that I have ever seen, let alone played Tomb Raider, but I'm sure that sort of thing happens in those sorts of games).

So, after all that time I was finally able to install the nice shiny new CD writer. Not that that was a quick and easy affair either...

Thanks to a stupid front half-flap only one optical drive could be used with said flap closed, the other is hidden behind it so the old CD drive had to be moved down for the writer to be installed in its place. OK, that wasn't a problem, but no way could both drives be hooked up at the same time. That was mainly due to the new drive being shorter in length than the old one but the very tight fit and obstructions within the case didn't help despite there being hardly anything inside the thing. The really amazing part was how heavy this fugly little Compaq is - it would easily weigh twice as much as PCs way bigger.

Thank goodness it is the only one like it that I have come across so far. :rolleyes: