PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl, Alt, Delete

supergran
25-06-2006, 08:43 PM
On nearly all puters I have worked on, ctrl, alt delete, will bring up a equivallent to the task manager in Xp, any ideas why it won't work on a 98 system?

And another thing, the formatting, show / hide icon in Word doesn't work either. All formatting is showing, and it won't turn off.

Yes, I do think her windows is corrupt, even though it says no spyware, no virus etc!

zqwerty
25-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Ctrl+alt+del always worked for me to bring up Task Manager on Win98SE, may be different on a HP computer.

Close Word, do a search for "normal.dot" and rename it to "normal.old". This will invalidate all previous customisations,templates etc she may have set up before, if it does not fix the problem you can go back by renaming .old to .dot again after deleting the newly created normal.dot. You may have to "show all hidden files" if you can't find "normal.dot".

Restart Word, a new "normal.dot" will be created, maybe this will solve that problem.

tweak'e
25-06-2006, 08:59 PM
98 dosn't have task manager it brings up close program.

if the 3 fingered salute dosn't do anything it could be a sign of infection.

supergran
25-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Zquerty, this isn't on the HP, it is on a friends puter, and called me into stop the formatting marks being there, and when it locked up, I tried the 3 finger salute, and was very shocked when it didn't work. Thanks for the normal.dot hint, will surely try that tomorrow.

Tweake, I knew it was something similar, just couldn't remember what, (ie, close program), but tried ad aware, spybot, online housecall, as well as the latest avg, and nothing important showed up. Ok, cookies and tracking cookies in the spyware ones, which i deleted, but nothing else. Cos virus was the first thing I thought of, as this lady is only just learning how to turn the puter on, let alone do much on it, I thought it very well could be infected, but if it is, I can't find it.

:) I can't thank all you guys enough, as with trying to keep my daughter's puter going, (keeps her off mine) and now this headache, you are all there to help No wonder I swear by PressF1 and tell all newbies to read it occasionally.