PDA

View Full Version : How do I add another PC to a network?!

stuffed
25-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Now know this should be easy………..! Want to add another PC onto an existing home network.
What do I need to do on the new PC (it is already connected to the internet). All PC’s XP.
With thanks

FoxyMX
25-06-2006, 05:23 PM
If you don't mind being a guinea pig for us maybe you could try following the Networking FAQs on this page (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=List) under the "Windows" section and see whether they are of any help. If they aren't you might like to let us know what needs to be improved.

R.M.
25-06-2006, 05:59 PM
I'll go through this too - I'm trying to network a laptop and a desktop wirelessly. I'm still having problems... I managed to get both computers to share the internet connection, but not to get the laptop to send/receive emails. Nor could I get the 'puters to 'talk to each' other and share files. I think that may have something to do with Firewalls. On Friday, however, I arrived home to find that everything had turned to custard - couldn't get internet connection on either computer, and the wireless router had turned 'belly-up' (no flashing lights at all - all was well when I left for work in the morning).

After a long wait I got a hold of the Telecom help desk - and now have internet connection to my desktop - and nothing else. When I try to reinstall the wireless router, it doesn't - and suggests I contact Belkin (which I can only do during Sydney office hours, Monday to Friday. So - that's what I'll be doing tomorrow when I get home...) :(

stuffed
25-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks for that – did get the new PC set up thanks to your instructions! Good on you for doing this – a great resource.
Cheers