PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Continually reboots

NZMichaelNZ
25-06-2006, 11:38 AM
My Compaq Presario 901Ap laptop continually loads up to the last screen before the GUI kicks in, but then returns to rebooting the machine entirely (over and over). This has occured since I installed some extra RAM (I contacted the supplier - Crucial - who advised me to try memtest86 to check whether the meory was at fault, as they would replace it if that was the case). The RAM is fine, and in fact I can boot the laptop into Safe Mode with Networking; but that's all.
Help would be appreciated!

Michael
:waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Whats on it? XP?

If XP is installed. is SP2 installed?? Did u install SP2 on it recently?

If you did install SP2 on it, see if u can uninstall SP2 in safe mode, then get the file in my sig below.

Having spyware on a system and installing SP2 on a system, will make a system reboot continuously.

NZMichaelNZ
25-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Speedy

No have had SP2 on it ever since SP2 was released without problems - also normally have Norton AV 2006, Norton Systemworks 2006, Zone Alarm running all the time with periodic searches using Spybot and Adaware (both regularly updated).
So don't think i've been hit with spyware (and if i had the other two xp machines on our home network should have been hit too, and are fine).
Thanks for your suggestion. :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Hmm ok well I would get the file in my sig below anyway.

Then somehow, copy HJT to the laptop, then boot into safe mode and run hijackthis.

And then somehow post the log here.

FoxyMX
25-06-2006, 12:32 PM
It seems to be too much of a coincidence to me that this problem only began after upgrading the RAM. Just because Memtest reports no errors does not mean that it is not faulty. Several people have reported here in the past that Memtest wrongly gave a clean bill of health to faulty RAM.

I would remove the RAM and see whether the problem goes away. If it does then it will be obvious where the fault lies.

NZMichaelNZ
25-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Thank you Foxy for your help. I have just removed the RAM and the system has now booted normally.
:D
And thank you Speedy for your suggestion as well.

You know where your friends are - on PressF1!

Michael

pctek
25-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Turn off the Automatically Restart idiocy that MS has on by defualt. (Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings)

Then see what Stop error it gives you - that way you can start troubleshooting without taking wild guesses at what the problem might be.

NZMichaelNZ
25-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks pctek but I think the problem has been isolated (this time anyway).

I have adopted your suggestion though so future problems will be identified quicker. :D