PDA

View Full Version : Error : A: type the name of the common intetrpreter.

darren25
24-06-2006, 10:13 PM
hi guys..really need yours help.

i had a computer with mkflash, i try to copy the mkflash from the computer to my floppy disk. The process are not so smooth as the pc keep showing error when copying into the floppy disk.

After completion i restart my computer. it show start window98....

a: Type the name of the common interpreter ....

i do a search in the net and found out the error mean that there are some file the window required for booting out are either missing or corrupt. Recommend to download a startup disk and copy the required file into the system..

I do as told but the problem is there it did read the startup disk but after a while it jump back to the same error message " a: Type the name of the common interpreter "

I try to access the floppy by enter b: but it still prompt me the same error.
If i am not wrong the A: is where the mkflash store and it is corrupt and need a reinstall.
I am suspecting it may not be the right startup disk. What do you guys think?

Regards
darren

Graham L
25-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

I'd say you have a faulty floppy. The file needed is COMMAND.COM, the "command interpreter" (which is DOS). (It is important to give error messages exactly when asking for help. We can't always interpret approximations ... ;) )

If you get errors when copying to a disk, that's a bad sign. When you need a bootable disk, it's a good idea to do a complete format of the floppy, and reject it if there are any bad areas. That's essential when you are using a programme which creates a bootable disk from a downloaded image. Such programmes don't allow for "mapped out" bad areas.

darren25
25-06-2006, 03:47 PM
thanks bro so what can i do to restore it back as now i am trap at a: which i am unable to access to other drive such as my floppy drive?

Graham L
25-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Your A: drive is a floppy drive. I'm assuming you have a hard disk, which would be the C: drive.

Take the faulty floppy disk out of the drive, and reboot. ;)

darren25
25-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi bro!

The A: is not my floppy disk the B: is

I had tried using other window 98 boot disk and insert into my B: but it still jump to A:Type the name of the common interpreter

I try to swap another floppy drive and insert the floppy again and reboot the system it still show A:Type the name of the common interpreter

The A: i think it should be the MKflash location if i am not wrong.

darren25
29-06-2006, 02:09 AM
hi bros! after some day of testing and reading the manual, i finally found out there the MKFlash is actually some CF onboard the system board.I have manage to solve part of the problem. From My setup utilities i realised that the 1st boot up is from MKFlash 2nd boot from Floppy and 3rd boot from HDD. If i did not do any changes it will prompt me the same error as describe above, so i set the 1st boot same as 2nd boot.. boot from Floppy.... After i reset my computer the computer prompt me that the mkflash is uninstall and require me ether to select F1 to Continue or F2 to setup.. So i choose F1.. as my floppy disk is a bootable disk it is able to read and go into the program. This have slove part of the problem as i able to go into the program. Now my concern is the MKflash onboard the system board i presume is corrupt so how can i copy the required file to the MKflash so that it is able to run my program when the system start up?