PDA

View Full Version : Backup Utility

ronyville
24-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Can anyone tell me of a good backup utility that i can use. I have looked around on the net and found a few but not really sure which one to use. If anyone has been using any backup utility and thinks its a really good one than please do let me know. I do not have huge files to backup but just a few hunderd MBs of documents that I work with everyday.

Cheers

pheonix
24-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Been down that road myself last year. I found Cobian backup the most reliable and versatile.A bonus was that it is freeware.
Available from http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

MTLance
24-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't do backups but my Norton GoBack does it for me for every interval. I've Ghost but it'll make backup of the system by an image. And it'll take for ages if you have 200GB of data or above. So GoBack is good enough for me. If you think your computer is secure enough I don't think you need backup softwares.

gibler
24-06-2006, 01:47 PM
If you think your computer is secure enough I don't think you need backup softwares.

Bad advice. Have you not heard of hard drives dying?

Shortcircuit
24-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Wait until your comp gets hit by lightning :eek:

Nero has a good back-up utility, although Nero's not free (that I know of) chances are you'll have a copy if you bought a DVD drive recently.

Scouse
24-06-2006, 02:15 PM
What operating system do you run? If you have XP, just left XP's backup do it for you.

stu161204
24-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Microsoft includes a Backup Utility in windows

If you have win xp pro: you should be able to find it via All Programs > Accessories\System Tools > backup

if you have win xp home, you just need to install it off the win xp home disk

MTLance
24-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Bad advice. Have you not heard of hard drives dying?
Yes, but I fixed it my own. I suggest external HDD will be much better but keep it in a secure place.

MTLance
24-06-2006, 02:23 PM
What operating system do you run? If you have XP, just left XP's backup do it for you. NOOOO. Not realiable. It didn't exactly go back to the previous time before you downloading the files.

FoxyMX
24-06-2006, 11:38 PM
If you think your computer is secure enough I don't think you need backup softwares.
<Whacks MTLance very hard around the ear with handbag>

Hopefully that will knock some sense into you because that is one of the most inaccurate and dangerous posts I have seen here for a very long time.

You really should be very careful about what "advice" you give to people as you could cause a lot of grief by posting misinformation. :annoyed:

Jen, can I auction this handbag off on PF1 now please? :p

stu161204
24-06-2006, 11:47 PM

LOL :D

Shortcircuit
24-06-2006, 11:52 PM

I can do a swap for a used bikini :D

Erayd
25-06-2006, 12:14 AM
I use Cobian Backup 7 - in my opinion it's one of the better Windows-based backup packages I have used (and it's free). Among other things, it supports incremental backups, scheduling, compression and encryption. It can also just do a direct copy of the target directory. Whatever backup software you end up using though, make sure it supports incremental backups - these will save you a LOT of time. Cobian backup also runs as a service, so you don't need to be logged on for it to work. It can be administered / run from either the local PC or a remote PC. You may need to allow it through your firewall (even if only working locally) as the GUI communicates with the service via TCP/IP, and some firewalls will block this.

Don't use the backup tool built into Windows if you can avoid it - this tool sometimes has issues with restoring backup sets. If you're feeling a little geekish though, you could set up rsync... Any backup tool you use should support scheduling.

As far as a destination for the data goes, you can't beat a removable HDD or file server. If you go down the optical media route you will have to make a point of doing it manually - and this is easy to forget.

Whatever you do, make sure your data is backed up. You don't ever need them until the day something goes wrong, but when it does - if you haven't backed up you're in for a very rough time (speaking from experience - a friend lost his last 6 years of work when his laptop was stolen).

Vince
25-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Wait until your comp gets hit by lightning :eek:

Nero has a good back-up utility, although Nero's not free (that I know of) chances are you'll have a copy if you bought a DVD drive recently.

Your computer dosen't need to be hit by lightning. Lightning only needs to strike near a phone line in your neighbourhood to send a fatal surge down the line and fry your circuts. :eek:

Re Nero OEM: I got one of them recently and 'backup is an option that has to be purchased seperatly. :(

Vince
25-06-2006, 04:04 AM

Hopefully that will knock some sense into you because that is one of the most inaccurate and dangerous posts I have seen here for a very long time.

You really should be very careful about what "advice" you give to people as you could cause a lot of grief by posting misinformation. :annoyed:

I agree! I lost most of the contents of 'My Documents' recently because I didn't BACKUP?! It realy does seem to happen to everyone eventually. :o

Shortcircuit
25-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Your computer dosen't need to be hit by lightning. Lightning only needs to strike near a phone line in your neighbourhood to send a fatal surge down the line and fry your circuts. :eek:

Re Nero OEM: I got one of them recently and 'backup is an option that has to be purchased seperatly. :(

Yep, believe me it CAN happen.

Vince, you might not want to hear this, but when I bought my Liteon DVD it came with the whole Nero 6 program including back-up utility, sorry yours didn't come with it :(

ronyville
25-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for your help people. Like shortcircuit mentioned that Nero 6 has a backup utility and I have Nero 6 on my computer (it came with my Liteon DVD). It has a backup utility which seems like a good one to use. Funny I didnt know it had a backup utility untill now..LOL.

cheers

Graham L
25-06-2006, 04:19 PM
You only need backups for the week after a disk crash. After that, you just lapse into your old bad habits.

"Lightning can't strike in the same place twice". BOOM. :D

beetle
25-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok two stupid questions here

How do you access xp back up utility........as i understand its not a default thing, you have to set it up ?? or something?

i remember asking bout this before but cannot recal the answer.....

and is the nero utility accessed off the installed prog or off the disk it comes on? cos i dont know where mine is......cd that is.....

beetle

Shortcircuit
25-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok two stupid questions here

How do you access xp back up utility........as i understand its not a default thing, you have to set it up ?? or something?

i remember asking bout this before but cannot recal the answer.....

and is the nero utility accessed off the installed prog or off the disk it comes on? cos i dont know where mine is......cd that is.....

beetle

The XP backup is as follows:

Click on Start> all programs> accessories> system tools> backup.

Can't say I've ever used the XP one beetle.

I've just had a look at the install for Nero. If you clicked on 'install suite' from the Nero CD you should have the backup part.

Have a look in the XP program list: start> all programs> Nero> then it should have a separate listing for backup under that menu or might just say 'nero oem' or similar (sorry, haven't got it installed at the mo). Click on one or the other and you should be ready to backup.

Just for you beetle I just installed Nero. Once you've installed 'Nero suite' from the CD go to start> all programs> Nero> Nero OEM> Nero Backitup

Easy eh? :D

beetle
25-06-2006, 08:09 PM
ok seems not, i go to xp prog and all progs, accesories, system tools, and no back up option?

and nero, goes to nero OEM and then no backitup option?

so...........beetle vagueness strikes again..... :illogical what am i missing then for neither to show up what you say should be there?

:rolleyes:

beetle

FoxyMX
25-06-2006, 08:23 PM
ok seems not, i go to xp prog and all progs, accesories, system tools, and no back up option?Don't fret, I don't have it listed either but you can find instructions to get it here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx).

and nero, goes to nero OEM and then no backitup option?Nor do I have that. :p

Could be because I didn't install the entire suite. I don't know but I don't need it anyway.

Seen our loverly Backup FAQ (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Backing_up_files) yet Beet? ;)

Vince
25-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Beetle, the Backup option in XP Home is not installed by default. The instructions are here, if you have the CD.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/backup_for_xp_home_edition.htm

Good luck

MTLance
25-06-2006, 08:49 PM

Jen, can I auction this handbag off on PF1 now please? :p lol. Very funny I already advice that he/she should get an external HDD. And my computer doesn't have any backup at all, so high risk. I need to get another HDD soon. That's a backup advice. BUt I have surger protector.

supergran
25-06-2006, 11:02 PM
lol. Very funny I already advice that he/she should get an external HDD. And my computer doesn't have any backup at all, so high risk. I need to get another HDD soon. That's a backup advice. BUt I have surger protector.

Well I think another HDD is still pretty expensive, but the new 'flash/pen' drives, give 1 gb space for about $60 and getting cheaper by the day, which may be an option to use as a backup drive, if you don't have a cd/dvd burner.

I also use Nero backup, 1 to 'my documents' and 2, to a cd. After early hard drives crashing, I have been caught to often not to at least back up regularly 'my photos'.

FoxyMX
25-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Well I think another HDD is still pretty expensive, but the new 'flash/pen' drives, give 1 gb space for about $60 and getting cheaper by the day, which may be an option to use as a backup drive, if you don't have a cd/dvd burner.
I would be a little wary of relying on those for important data as I once wiped the contents off my USB flash pen when I forgot to remove it before booting up a computer. It was just as well I had copies of the files still on the hard drive.

They are also rather easy to lose, being so small.

bob_doe_nz
25-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Not to mention that they arent exactly the most reliable backup device if you constantly procrastinate with your backups.

supergran
26-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I would be a little wary of relying on those for important data as I once wiped the contents off my USB flash pen when I forgot to remove it before booting up a computer. It was just as well I had copies of the files still on the hard drive.

They are also rather easy to lose, being so small.

I wouldn't totally use it for backup either, but if I didn't have a cd burner, like my old computer, it would of been better than nothing. As for loosing it, I have it attached to a computer bag by lanyard and return it there when not in use. I will also remember not to leave it in there when I boot up, didn't think of that, thanks.