PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird question

mejobloggs
23-06-2006, 11:07 AM
I have a pc that I want to have only linux on. The problem is, I can't get Thunderbird to work how my Outlook Express is set up.

Using our emails from our ISP:

All the accounts log in with the same username/password. Therefore, I guess we have 1 email account from our ISP, with 'aliases'.

In OE, it is no problem. I just set up new accounts, person1@isp.co.nz, person2@isp.co.nz, person3@isp.co.nz....

All the emails come in to the same 'inbox folder' in OE. In the To fields it will have person1@isp.co.nz etc... From there, it is a simple step to setup a rule to move every person1 email to person1 folder.

Clicking reply to an email sent to person1, will automattically put person1 in the 'from' field.

Now, Thunderbird doesn't work like that.

I seem to be only able to set up a complete new account per person. So each person gets their own inbox/sent items/etc..

Because we all use the same username/password for the pop server, that means ALL the emails are downloaded into EACH persons inbox every time.

If I only create one account, then you can only send with e.g. person1's email in the 'from' field.

Understand? Or do I need to explain more.

Can anyone help with this? It doesn't have to be Thunderbird. If there are other linux email clients that can do what OE does, then please tell me.

Thanks

mejobloggs
23-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Also, I notice in Thunderbird that when you reply to an email, the curser automatically goes to the bottom, and the previous emails are at the top.

Is there any way to change it so that you write the reply at the top? I really detest 'newest last', and much prefer 'newest first'

dolby digital
24-06-2006, 12:07 PM
There are other linux email clients which might fit the bill. Of course, you could use Wine and Outlook Express would most likely work (I haven't tried of course).

If you have only one mailbox on the server, you should be able to use the primary email address and they will all come into the one inbox (my Xtra email is like that).

kjaada
24-06-2006, 12:35 PM
It should be easy to set up yr message filters (tools,message filters)to do what you require.

Jen
24-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I think you should be able to do this. Firstly, have a look under Edit > Account settings. Under Composition and Addressing you have the option of selecting Automatically quote when replying and under that, a drop down option of Start my reply above the quote.

Have you tried to add the extra account details under this section as well? You should be able to add each persons email alias and also add the reply to address. See if that works for you.

Another option would be to try Evolution which is an Outlook clone. I'm not sure whether you can set it up with the alias like you have done in OE.

kjaada
24-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Jens under, Edit> as above should be
under,Tools >

Jen
24-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Jens under, Edit> as above should be
under,Tools >You sure? The Linux version of Thunderbird puts things in slightly different locations to the Windows version. I have Linux version 1.5.0.2 and the Account Settings are found under Edit. :)

FoxyMX
24-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Of course, you could use Wine and Outlook Express would most likely work (I haven't tried of course).
:eek:

Go wash your mouth out !!! :yuck:

Erayd
25-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Another vote for evolution - excellent mail client, and finally one that replies in text (not HTML) by default!

kjaada
25-06-2006, 06:43 AM
You sure? The Linux version of Thunderbird puts things in slightly different locations to the Windows version. I have Linux version 1.5.0.2 and the Account Settings are found under Edit. :)
Sorry bout that Jen;I was on my daughters puter and did not realise the
two put things a bit differently.I do have Xandros on my own puter and of coarse you are correct.