PDA

View Full Version : 4 Ohm v 8 Ohm = ?

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Ok...I thought I was really aging this am when I turned on my 5.1 and was listening to The Beatles 24/7 (http://65.40.99.2:8080/) , and my left front speaker got all nasty sounding.

Maybe, thought I, that my hearing is finally going South (no offense below the equator people), but it was indeed just a speaker getting fuzzy. I ohmed it out with my new dvm and it's not too far off from the others (it was 3.9ohm, the others were 3.6 or so), and I even tried exchanging them to see if it was a channel thing..but the speaker wherever it was put sounded just as bad.

So, now I have some left over 8 ohm satellite speakers from a Phillips home theater, and was wondering what I might expect if I replace the existing 4 ohm speakers with the 8 ohm units on the fronts only.

Is that too far outta specs? Is the amp gonna like it or not? How much smoke is acceptable from the amplifier?

straitjacket
23-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I dont know what the experts say, but I have run 8 ohm speakers off car amps before @ 4 ohms...never did any damage to the amp, but it usually resulted in the death of the speaker eventually....although that might have been my tendency to wallop them with too much power :)

Morgenmuffel
23-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Maybe, thought I, that my hearing is finally going South (no offense below the equator people), ?

South is up, North is down therefore below the equator, the north is up theory is an urban myth created by those in europe and north america to make themselves feel important.
If you think about it logically it makes sense that south is up, according to my incredibly scientific research (Nigels institute of research and inebriation) there are more people in the Northern Hemisphere than in the Southern Hemisphere, factor in that the Northern Hemisphere contains burger munching American with high obesity, beer swilling Germans and Brits, and chocolate eating Swiss and Belgians and lets not even mention the French!, Whereas the Southern hemisphere has starving africans, fit football obsessed argentinians etc then logic dictates that the most weighty side (northern Hemisphere) will be on the bottom but wait there is more

A correct world map is shown here (http://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/wizard-large.jpg) (I used to have one of these, got it from the Wizard of Christchurch), and bizzarly enough the wizard has a website with a shop (http://wizard.gen.nz/contents.html) where you can buy the above map although the potion looks good too

Damn that turned out to be a bit of a rant in the end, was just going to show a link to the map

Ok...I thought I was really aging this am when I turned on my 5.1 and was listening to The Beatles 24/7 (http://65.40.99.2:8080/) , and my left front speaker got all nasty sounding.

wasn't one of the songs that Yoko "helped" with

Skinnerjack
23-06-2006, 09:22 AM
what pills are you on Nigel, and can i have some?

Morgenmuffel
23-06-2006, 09:34 AM
what pills are you on Nigel, and can i have some?
It's called insomnia, and not wanting to start work today, normally the creative juices would be thinking an excuse for the boss unfortunately I am my own boss so i need another outlet

actually I think with the speakers bridgeing may be required (or is that the other way around) and the sound quality would be a shade distorted (or is that the other way around)

godfather
23-06-2006, 10:50 AM
It's generally quite safe to use an 8 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm line, the amp will just be unable to deliver as many watts to that channel.

The other way round could be damaging to some amps.

tweak'e
23-06-2006, 11:08 AM
useing an 8 ohm speaker cuts the power in half. the front 8 ohm will be a lot quieter than the rear 4 ohm speakers. the other problem of useing 8ohm speakers on 4 ohm amps is normally people crank it up but this usually makes the amp produce more distortsion which can blow the tweaters.

so safe to use provided you don't crank it up to much.

Graham L
23-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Since hearing sensitivity is logarithmic, you can just tell the difference when it's 3dB (2:1) so you will hear it as "a bit" quieter. If you change all the speakers, you'll probably never notice.