PDA

View Full Version : XP Reload - Progs won't start

Butch
23-06-2006, 12:53 AM
My PC recently had a tussel with a lightning bolt - guess who lost. I replaced the HD but it wouldn't boot. I loaded a spare copy of XP Pro onto a spare HD and the machine booted fine. I installed the original HD as a slave and all of my files were still there expept the Windows system32. I deduced boot sector damage. So I proceded to load the XP pro onto the original HD. Now I boot up just fine (from the original HD) but none of my software works. I can locate the .exe file but when I try to run it, I get an error. I can reload most of the software but some of it came with the PC (hp with XP Home). I would really like to have some of the hp software back (image zone, organizer, etc.) but hp support says I can only get it by buying (boo!) system restore discs from them and starting from the original system. I don't want to do that if it can be avoided. Any ideas?
BTW - I found files for restore points on the HD but system restore doesn't see them. I tried creating a new point and copying the old files into that directory but it didn't seem to take.

Myth
23-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Did you do a clean install of XP, or did you install over top (aka dirty install)?
What was/is the error you are getting when trying to execute the .exe?

Butch
24-06-2006, 02:39 AM
It didn't give me the option to do an upgrade. If I'm not misunderstanding your question, it was a clean install. My desktop was empty when it finished installing. The error is 0x0000135.

Agent_24
24-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Doing a new install or repair reinstall over the top of an existing windows installation will cause most of your programs to not work, as extra files required by them that may have been placed in windows system folders will not be there anymore, nor will any needed registry entries.

HP are weirdos and you most likely will have to buy their discs and install their version of windows if you want their programs back.
(unless you can find a way to download/buy them seperately), I don't know if they'd be able to be extracted from the HP repair discs.

Think of installing a standard XP onto your computer as doing it a favour. not having an HP-modifed OS or HP programs will make it run so much better..... :D

As for the error, it might be that the harddrive is damaged. have you run CHKDSK on it??

Butch
24-06-2006, 11:46 PM
After this, I am agreeing with you. I think I will forget about the hp software and get on with my life. :thumbs: The error goes away after I reinstall whatever software I tried to run that generated it. Thanks loads for the info.

drcspy
25-06-2006, 04:43 AM
oing a new install or repair reinstall over the top of an existing windows installation will cause most of your programs to not work,

rubbish...........lets get this right...........doin a NEW install (format/install).......'clean' will delete all your programs............doing a 'repair' install will NOT cause most of your progs not to work........it'll not stop ANY of them working........hell I dunno how many times I've done repair installs........so I KNOW from EXPERIENCE.......

drcspy
25-06-2006, 04:45 AM
most likely will have to buy their discs and install their version of windows if you want their programs back.

garbage............

tweak'e
25-06-2006, 03:09 PM
doing a repair install cna recover the system BUT not always. it can break programs. seen that a few to many times.

Butch..... you had it right to start with. use the new install on the other drive to copy all your data off the other drive. IF its got a recovery partition you might be able copy that over. i think there is a way of booting with a disk and useing the recover partition to restore everything back to factory. you then can copy your old data back of the spare drive.