PDA

View Full Version : Networks and Remote Access

bba12
22-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi All

I have a desktop and a notebook at home connected in a wireless network. I can share all files between them OK. How do I do the following:

1) Share a printer? I have a printer connected to the desktop via USB. Can this be accessed by the notebook through the network or do I have to buy a specific wireless printer and add it to the network?

2) "See" and move the cursor around the "other" computer screen? ie. Can I "see" my desktops desktop monitor screen on the notebook and vice versa?

3) Do (2), above, remotely from work say? Is this a VPN?

Many thanks

Graham L
23-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Get to the Printers page, righ-click on the printer, select the Properties of the printer, and tick the Share box. You will need to "Add a Printer" on the laptop; tell it it's remote. Done.

Yes. There are various free and commercial programmes to do this. You run a server on the host, and a client programme on the other. The one from ATT labs is good; other people might have other preferences. ;)

Maybe. Your work system might have restrictions on what you can do.

bba12
23-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks Graham L

Printer all go! Will try VPN.

Cheers :D

george12
24-06-2006, 02:39 AM
If you have Windows XP Pro, you can simply allow it to receive remote connections by selecting the appropriate option in the Remote tab of My Computer properties.

Then use Remote Desktop to access it.

In that case, to receive connections from the internet, you need to ensure that traffic from port 3389 is reaching the computer you want to control. If you are behind a NAT router (ie, you have jetstream or cable shared between two computers) you need to foward port 3389 to the appropriate computer. That will be an option in your router configuration.

At work, after doing this, enter your public IP address (which hopefully doesn't change) into remote desktop on a PC at work. There are many reasons why this might not work, but I'm too tired to explain them. I'm waiting for the hot water to heat up again - the damned power company turned it off from 10pm to 12am (I verified that, no power to the cylinder until 12am).

If you have XP Home, you'll need to find a program to take the place of Remote Desktop.