PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME PLEASE

d00zer
22-06-2006, 06:32 PM
hi, i cant seem to access my DSL modem which is connected to my belkin pre N wireless royter

my dsl modem address is 10.0.0.2 and router is 192.168.2.1, i can access router but not dsl modem

all internet settings working fine tho.......

i just need to get my line attenuation etc

because i am getting like 10KB/s for internationalsite dowlloadin

straitjacket
22-06-2006, 06:36 PM
are you sure it's 10.1.1.2?? most of the routers/modems I have seen are 10.1.1.1 by default....dont quote me on that though I am known to be wrong often :D

Graham L
22-06-2006, 06:36 PM
You will need to temporarily give your computer a manually allocated number in the 10.x.y.z range to access the modem. It's on a different LAN. While you are using its setup system, you might want to change its IP address to one on the 192.168.y.z range. That will take effect after you restart it, so set your computer back to what it was while its doing that.

straitjacket
22-06-2006, 06:44 PM
You will need to temporarily give your computer a manually allocated number in the 10.x.y.z range to access the modem. It's on a different LAN. While you are using its setup system, you might want to change its IP address to one on the 192.168.y.z range. That will take effect after you restart it, so set your computer back to what it was while its doing that.

are you sure? I used the two onboard adapters in my machine to run a dsl 302g @ 10.1.1.1 and lan @ 192.168.0.x range with no problems? he should just be able to access it unless I am missing something....BTW doozer what model of modem are you using?

Graham L
22-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm fairly sure.

I suspect ipconfig will show that one of your NICs has an IP address of 10.x.y.z, and the other will be 192.168.y.z. So your system works. The questioner has one NIC. The modem is on another LAN, and not accessible to the computer. 10.x.y.z and 192.168.y.z are non-routable addresses, so the router can't help.

straitjacket
22-06-2006, 07:05 PM
sure I knew that! ...I was just proving the accuracy of the last line on my first post! :D

d00zer
22-06-2006, 07:19 PM
are you sure? I used the two onboard adapters in my machine to run a dsl 302g @ 10.1.1.1 and lan @ 192.168.0.x range with no problems? he should just be able to access it unless I am missing something....BTW doozer what model of modem are you using?

i am using a web excel one

Erayd
22-06-2006, 07:19 PM
10.x.y.z and 192.168.y.z are non-routable addresses, so the router can't help.Technically not true - there's no such thing as a non-routable IP address. I think what you are trying to refer to is that these IP addresses are in a private address space - and hence the internet routers won't route them (by design, so that people have something to use for private networks that are connected to the internet). However almost any router will route them just fine, provided it is configured correctly to do so. Just make sure that the gateway settings are correct :)

d00zer
22-06-2006, 07:21 PM

how do i do that??? change the modem address ?

btw, i used to be able to access it directly abt 4 months ago... but recently i did some changes to my router config coz i was opening up some ports etc... like bittorent and stuff and unpnp etc

must have cloicked soemthing wong?

Erayd
22-06-2006, 07:26 PM
It will be in the LAN settings for the modem. If you are trying to run the internet through another router as well, make sure that the modem is in a different subnet to your LAN, otherwise you won't be able to connect to it (or the internet). There is no reason why you can't just keep using your existing one.

Graham L
23-06-2006, 03:24 PM
The quickest and simplest way to access the modem's setup is to make a PC have an IP address in the same group as the modem. That will require no deep pondering about whether it's at some level of the ISO model or in accordance with RFC2549 or whatever. It will just work.