PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner Cards

Grampsey
22-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I need to transfer some old VHS tapes and tapes from my Sony 8mm Handycam [ 1990 vintage ] to DVD. After much research , reading reviews etc the "leadtek Expert" capture card seems to be the one to go for. this card also has some whistles and bells that will be useful after I have captured my box full of VHS/Video 8 tapes. As this card has only the S-Video 'in' for capture is there a RCA [from my camera] to the S-Video[on the card] cable supplied ?? I would value any input on this from other members. Grampsey.

somebody
22-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Grampsey, welcome to PressF1.

You can buy S-Video to RCA adaptors from stores like Dick Smith Electronics fairly cheaply (around $9 or so), and simply use the S-Video to S-Video cable which comes with the tuner card, or use the RCA cable which came with your video camera.

Misty
22-06-2006, 09:04 PM
I need to transfer some old VHS tapes and tapes from my Sony 8mm Handycam [ 1990 vintage ] to DVD. After much research , reading reviews etc the "leadtek Expert" capture card seems to be the one to go for. this card also has some whistles and bells that will be useful after I have captured my box full of VHS/Video 8 tapes. As this card has only the S-Video 'in' for capture is there a RCA [from my camera] to the S-Video[on the card] cable supplied ?? I would value any input on this from other members. Grampsey.
Hi Gramsey
"Somebody" seems to have answered your query so I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread briefly ! I am wondering how much this "leadtek Expert" costs ? If I put a search in SearchNZ I get nothing. If I do a search on Google I get all kinds of forums etc, etc. Even if I include the word "buy" as well, it does not give much better info. One initial result seemed to indicate a price of A$64. Does that sound about the right price and where in NZ can you buy please ?
Misty :confused:

somebody
22-06-2006, 09:10 PM
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_853.html

Part-way down. About $90ish.

Misty
22-06-2006, 09:28 PM
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_853.html

Part-way down. About $90ish.

Thanks, somebody !
misty :)

Grampsey
23-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi somebody. many thanks for that, I will see what Dick Smith can come up with. I have tried a "Y" cable containing 2x S-Video plugs and an RCA on it from my Sony Camera RCA to the S-Video socket on the TV to prove if this arrangement can be used before buying a capture card. This did not work, probably as the signal from the camera RCA to the TV S-Video socket was opposing the directional arrows on the S-Video "Y" cable plugs. I would be grateful to anyone for their comments on this and the 'pros' and 'cons' of the leadtek Expert card or any other card that will be suitable for the capture of VHS/8mm camera tapes to DVD.

Cheers Misty for your reply. Grampsey.

ghostrider
23-06-2006, 12:20 PM
I have a Leadtek TV2000XP Expert capture card and had no problem transferring old VHS tapes with the leads supplied with the camera and the capture card.

Grampsey
23-06-2006, 03:00 PM
That's great to hear ghostrider. I will now get on and order the Leadtek TV 2000 XP capture card. Many thanks for your reply . Grampsey

Trev
23-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I have A leadtek TV 2000 XP RM capture card. I have a VHS Video recorder connected up to it. HAve transfered a couple of tapes and burnt them to DVD with no problems.

Trevor :)