PDA

View Full Version : HP boots then freezes at desktop

supergran
22-06-2006, 01:09 PM
My daughters puter is booting, then freezing at the desktop, even when started in safe mode. Running 98 64 ram and is an old HP. Her son turned the puter off one day at the wall, and it hasn't been right since. Sometimes by clicking refresh on desktop you can then use the puter. As I am doing now. I know that isn't a lot of info but don't know what else I can tell you

The puter is getting old, so whether it is just coincidence, or he damaged something, I am not sure.

Just thought someone might have some ideas.

pctek
22-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Who knows? 64Mb? Bit of a strain even with Win98. How full is the HDD? Swap file might be having trouble.
Or malware infestations.
Or clutter.
Mayeb time for some more ram and a good clean out.

Graham L
22-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Reinstall W98. ;) You should be able to do it as an "upgrade" which will replace the system code, but leave all the settings as they are. It might be better to wipe the disk and do a clean reinstallation ... but that will depend on what can't be replaced.

supergran
22-06-2006, 08:23 PM
We reformatted back to new 2 years ago, and she went to reformat again today, and her hp discs aren't here, she remembers loaning them, but the person she loaned them to reckons they bought them back. yea, right.

So ok, now the question is, if I use my old 98se disc, I am now using XP, what do I have to know to reformat her puter with that.

With it being an HP, we always just used the recovery disc, which is now missing. And yes, we know it is about 5 years old, but until now, she has had very little problems with it.

supergran
22-06-2006, 10:22 PM
And do I need to know what sort of motherboard, video card etc is in it, or does it select the right drivers? Yep, I sure am a novice doing it this way.

supergran
23-06-2006, 10:41 PM
bump

pctek
23-06-2006, 11:20 PM
And do I need to know what sort of motherboard, video card etc is in it, or does it select the right drivers? Yep, I sure am a novice doing it this way.
You sure do. No it won't do the drivers.MB Chipset drivers, onboard whatever...drivers, graphics driver, modem driver, pretty much everything in except drives will need the correct driver.
Start on HPs website, you might find most of them.

supergran
25-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Yuk, ok, thanks. Guess I had better go hunting.

jinja_thom
25-06-2006, 01:42 AM
You could try talking to HP spares see if the recovery set is still available for your model number. I bought one last year for an HP but that was only about 3 years old. It consisted of 9 cds and cost about $75 from memory. It did the job though and recovered the system to it's original state.
Just a thought JT

drcspy
25-06-2006, 04:46 AM
This method will allow a user to either do a 'repair install' or an upgrade from an existing
installation.....just follw the instructions exactly

as with all versions of windows you can do a 'clean' install which will wipe his system and install a clean verison of windows or you can do a 'repair' install if you know how.........

to do this stuff in a boot disk for win98....if you havent got one download this:
http://www.bootdisk.com

then double clik it and it'll write to floppy and voila you'll have a boot disk.........then

start the system with the boot floppy have your win98 cd handy.....also you'll need to have written down his system liscense key

when you start up you'll get a little menu choose 'start with cd support'

then when the system has loaded the cddrivers you need to change the directory to c: so just type in c: at the command prompt and then tap enter

then type in

cd windows

then tap enter

then type in

ren win.com win.old

then tap enter

then type in d:

then tap enter that should take you 'into ' the cd ...........then type in

cd win98

then tap enter

then type in

setup

then tap enter

then you'll be starting the 98 setup ......it'll run scandisk then you have to tap X and the rest of the setup will continue.........at some stage it'll give you the option of installing to 'windows.000' or .............custom install .......choose custom install then clik 'next' then in the 'custom install' box type in

windows

then clik next...........NOW you are on the way to doin a 'repair' or 'over the top' install of 98 and he wont lose ANY data or programs off the system it'll just overwrite the system files with good copies from the cd.............

PHEW !!!

i've written this out too many times so I'm gonna copy and save it for future use !!!!!!!

LUCK........if you follow those instructions EXACTLY you'll be fine.......

drcspy
25-06-2006, 04:47 AM
you wont need to go hunting drivers either.......

supergran
25-06-2006, 08:30 PM
DrcSpy, I went to the boot disc place, and downloaded Windows98SE OEM to my puter, is that right? Or will my old 98 se boot disc, made on my old puter work?

I still own a 98SE cd, as I have upgraded my puter to XP

Oops, maybe I should try and get online somehow on her puter, cos if I remember rightly, if I send things to my floppy drive, they won't read in her's.

Thanks for the instructions, I have printed them off, and if all fails, guess she will be looking at buying a new puter. LOL :blush:

drcspy
26-06-2006, 08:30 AM
ok well for xp it's a lot simpler just have the product key handy then stuff in the cd and boot from that, you may need to change the boot order in the bios to do that, then use the 'install windoze' option at an early stage of that it'll give you the option to 'repair an existing windows installation' do that...

supergran
26-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks heaps, now I will go searching to find out what the product key is. Just in case it isn't the number on her Windows 98 Book. I will find it! LOL

And that is why I love PressF1, in under a minute I found this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ProductKey Now just to get game enough to try!

supergran
07-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Ok, just thought I would let you know that the problem was a dicky mouse. Yep, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't, but now we have a newly formatted computer, with a new mouse :annoyed: :thumbs: