PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presairo 14XL447 Laptop

Jeff
21-06-2006, 11:04 PM
My brother has been given one of his works old laptops. A Compaq Presairo 14XL447. But they have lost the Recovery Cds, etc for it.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement discs (or copies) cheaply (free would be even better)? Someone has started loading Win 2K and has not completed it. So I need to reformat the HD and install a new operating system on it.

Thanks

Jeff. :help:

tweak'e
21-06-2006, 11:24 PM
go buy an OS. XP new or w2k 2nd hand etc. i won't comment about <cough> free <cough> windows.

Jeff
22-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Tweak'e, if you had read it properly you would have seen I wasn't asking for a "free" operating system (or pirated cds), I am after the recovery cds, etc, for the laptop.

I could make rude and/or sacastic comments but I can't be bothered stating the obvious.

Jeff. :annoyed:

godfather
22-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Have just checked the HP site and it does not seem that the recovery CD's are available at all, probably too old.

I note that HP only support up to Windows 2000, not XP so presumably its not XP capable in resources.

What did it ship with? A legit second-hand copy of '98SE should be able to be found at reasonable cost. It would have the advantage of not having the original "bloat" that the recovery CD's would install.

Unless someone has a spare CD set floating around (which is probably not that likely) then a "new" OS may be your only choice. I think there were a lot of sub-models in that range, so an exact match of recovery CD would be needed or it could force the wrong drivers and not be helpful.