PDA

View Full Version : AVG 7.1 Updates

Roly Duff
21-06-2006, 12:16 PM
For the last two months all AVG Priority Updates are about 3MB in size. Previously they had only been about 200KB or so. As I have not got any form of broadband the recent downloads are taking 12 mins where previously they were only about 30 seconds. Has AVG changed its policy to give complete antivirus definitions or have I altered some setting on my computer? Has anybody else noticed this?

FoxyMX
21-06-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't use AVG but I did notice that last week when I was fixing a few PCs. Assumed that it was a one-off thing at the time but maybe it wasn't.

Avast's definitions are small downloads so you might like to change if AVG's updates continue to be large.

Greg
21-06-2006, 01:25 PM
My experience is that most updates are just a couple hundred KB's or less in size, unless a mjor update is required. If updates are downloaded manually then a few megs isn't unusual.

If you're on dialup, suggest you leave your updates to manually do its thing say once a fortnight, and leave it to run while you're out or overnight.

tweak'e
21-06-2006, 04:12 PM
sometimes the updates gets corupt and it tries to download it every time. download the full offline update.

Greg
22-06-2006, 11:06 AM
download the full offline update.Link?

The laptop here is rarely online, and last time it was I couldn't update the anti-v. So a full update link would be useful - (I couldn't find it in the nano-seconds I searched).

tweak'e
22-06-2006, 11:14 AM
grisoft have it of course, which url depends on if your useing free ver or paid ver.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html has it as well.

if its really out of date it may be better to download the whole prog. also if you have avg on another pc you can copy the updates acros to it (dosn't always work if the 2 pc's are different OS's)

Roly Duff
22-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone. It is the free vesion I am using as supplied by PC World Dec2005/Jan2006. Using Windows Explorer I have clicked AVG/setup.exe to reinstall the programme. You are given the choice of reinstalling or repairing the installation. No matter which is selected you are eventually asked to chose the folder where the installation package is located, with the option of browsing. It seems to be in a .dat file but I have not been able to locate this to date. If anyone cared to duplicate the above you will see what I mean. It is a simple matter to abandon the setup if you wish. Any ideas where this installation package is located?? Thanks again.

Greg
23-06-2006, 01:22 AM
If I was in your situation I'd uninstall the thing and reinstall - either via the PCWorld disk or by a fresh download.

tweak'e
23-06-2006, 11:13 AM
download the new ver. any ver on disk is going to be out of date as soon as you get the disk and the disk in this case is 6 months old.

mantermite
23-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I had the same problem a few times and just reinstalled the full version off the website and downloaded the antivirus updates from the website. seem to fix it. Same thing happened with Avast as well.

Roly Duff
25-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks Mantermite and others. I did as you suggested and reinstalled from the web. AVG now works OK.