PDA

View Full Version : Which antispyware

garyasta
21-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi All

I currently run Spyware Doctor and Counterspy. The subscription is due for renewal for one of them. As i presume that running both can cause a slow-down of the system, which would be the better one to keep operational.

I also run Norton Internet Security as a firewall with Norton Protection Centre and antivirus protection.

Because of recurring downloading problems, I am thinking of dumping Norton and using one of the other antivirus programs, such as AntiVir Personal Edition Classic or Kaspersky Personal Pro.

Any comments?

Cheers
Gary

snoopy
21-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I use Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4, a-squared & Adaware, does the job for me.

I would recommend AVG Free for the AV, getting rid of Norton is a good speedup tip for your PC. :thumbs:

Zone Alarm, Kerio or Comodo for your firewall.

drcspy
21-06-2006, 11:15 AM
norton is an overpriced resource hog and it's pretty damn good at missing nasties anyway.......I certainly would never bother to install it on my personal pc's.....

garyasta
21-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi drcspy

Thanks for that. Your message seems to be a very common thread.

Cheers
Gary

Myth
21-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi All

I currently run Spyware Doctor and Counterspy. The subscription is due for renewal for one of them. As i presume that running both can cause a slow-down of the system, which would be the better one to keep operational.

I also run Norton Internet Security as a firewall with Norton Protection Centre and antivirus protection.

Because of recurring downloading problems, I am thinking of dumping Norton and using one of the other antivirus programs, such as AntiVir Personal Edition Classic or Kaspersky Personal Pro.

Any comments?

Cheers
GaryBoth Spyware Doc and Counterspy are quite good. Either one will do the job required, and do it well.
If you are thinking of ditching Nortons, and want a non-free, good Antivirus; take a look at NOD32. Although I don't personally use Windows, I administer a home network which has windows computers, and use NOD32 on them (2 computers, one with 98SE, the other with XP Pro). Have never had any problems since using it.

Firewalls (again if ditching Nortons), most in here recommend Zone Alarm, I personally recommend Agnitum Outpost Pro. Bought it a few years ago (haven't updated past the first year), and have used it since, again with no problems

garyasta
21-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi Tazz

Thanks for the gen. It's helping me to make my mind up!

Cheers
Gary

Joe90Davies
21-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi Folks,

Watch out for Kaspersky. It fouled up my computer something awful, and their help section is no help at all.

I've been running AVG for years, but I knew there were viruses that AVG hadn't found. Sure enough, Kaspersky found 23 of them! However, once I had run it, I couldn't open any of my applications, and when I tried removing Kaspersky, I couldn't. This is evidently a common problem, as I discovered eventually when I finally got internet access through another computer and found a "removal tool" on one of Kaspersky's FAQs.

So now 23 viruses and Kaspersky are gone from my computer.

The worst thing was that you can't get sensible help from the help desk.

Some people have told me that my system isn't good enough to run Kaspersky - I run 256 MB of RAM on a 1.4Ghz Athlon chip, so watch out if your specs are similar or lower.

Good luck, I hear antivir Personal (www.free-av.com) is pretty good, and free.

Joe Davies.

garyasta
21-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Joe(90)
(You've dated yourself there!)

Thanks for the update on problems. Will take the suggestions onboard.

Cheers
Gary

MAC_H8ER
21-06-2006, 12:14 PM
i use Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot Search and destroy, Hijackthis and XoftSpy - i run them all because one will usually ctach some nastys that the others missed - and i use Zone alarm for my firewall and Avast! antivirus - and i dont have any problems at all :D

garyasta
21-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi MAC_H8ER

You sound as if you have a really massive machine to operate.

I have taken onboard that Avast is a possibility.

Cheers
Gary

Myth
21-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Watch out for Kaspersky. It fouled up my computer something awful, and their help section is no help at all.Yes I found that when doing work experience at one of the local computer repair shops. The tech favoured Kaspersky and this one particular computer he ran it on errored (a few system files, can't remmeber which) on reboot after the 'viruses' had been removed. Seems it removed a bit more than intended.
I don't know if he ever used Kaspersky again (I assume he did)

MAC_H8ER
21-06-2006, 12:43 PM
yeah - its the only thing thats MINE in the entire house lol :rolleyes:
but yeah i just like to prevent spyware and viruses getting in to do damage rather than clean up the mess afterwards :yuck:

garyasta
21-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Guys

Ta for the comments.

Cheers
Gary

Cicero
21-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys

Ta for the comments.

Cheers
Gary
Do let us know how all this wisdom manifests itself on your machine.

kennie
21-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Well I use Kaspersky for antivirus, Outpost Firewall, and spyware doctor. All seem to run fine with each other except for the first time when you run spyware doctor. my firewall blocks it coz it thinks spyware doctor is behaving badly. Thats sorted though when you add a rule in the firewall about it though. Spyware Doctor seems to be doing a good job, It finds and cleans well so I don't bother running another coz when I do they only pick up the cookies which I clean out manually anyway. But with these softwares, I would say you got to have Windows XP with SP2 installed for them to work well after all its XP that microsoft and other companies has most support on for the desktop area.

garyasta
21-06-2006, 01:15 PM
The process will take a little time as various installed programs run out of life and i make the decision to replace with a more 'friendly' application. The gen received so far from all responding parties is helping in the selection process.

Tks!

Cheers
Gary

Safari
21-06-2006, 01:20 PM
i use Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot Search and destroy, Hijackthis and XoftSpy - i run them all because one will usually ctach some nastys that the others missed - and i use Zone alarm for my firewall and Avast! antivirus - and i dont have any problems at all :D

Good for you - keep it up. Sorry to hear you need to take all those precautions and spend all that time updating and scanning.

I don't use anything and I don't have any problems at all either.

FoxyMX
21-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Good for you - keep it up. Sorry to hear you need to take all those precautions and spend all that time updating and scanning.

I don't use anything and I don't have any problems at all either.
Is that purely because you have a Mac or is it because of "clean" web browsing?

All I use is Avast (mainly for checking emails and integrity of downloads) and Sygate and I don't have any problems either.

I think people get what they ask for most of the time courtesy of their browsing habits.

Safari
21-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Is that purely because you have a Mac or is it because of "clean" web browsing?

Both Susan - great combination for peace of mind.

MAC_H8ER
21-06-2006, 03:22 PM
i dont own a mac or any apple related products :D

and it takes me less than 30 minutes to do all the scans and other maintanence - i do it whilst watching my name is earl :D
and updating takes less than 5 minutes :)

makes my games and everything else run so much better with no "smiley central" crud in there e.c.t :D

gibler
21-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I consider Firefox to be an anti-spyware of some kind....

FoxyMX
21-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Both Susan - great combination for peace of mind.
Good to know that, Jim. :thumbs:

KiwiMR2
21-06-2006, 07:32 PM
AVG for my antivirus, Adaware, Spybot, Windows Defender, & spysweeper all have turns at scaning my pc every once & a while. I haven't had anything in the last couple of years using all those :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

MTLance
22-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I use McAfee anti spyware which is updated daily. Pretty good I guess, when I use Spysweep WebRoot it didn't scan much except 1 or 2 that's all and McAfee Anti-Spyware did most of the job. I bought the Anti-Virus and Spyware which cost me a lot cheaper so I bought it and it is good.:) No harm trying out McAfee. Check it out yourself here http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,122496,pg,6,00.asp
I use the 2006 version not the old one.