PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speeds

rodi
20-06-2006, 05:50 PM
:( I'm on the xtra Adventurer plan, and when downloading files over the past few weeks I noticed the download speed never got above 245-250Kbtes a second. I cheched on the Ihug speed test ( of course this isn't a true speed test as Xtra have reminded me ) and of course the speed was the same. So I went to the www.jetstreamgames/speed test and low and behold same speed. I contacted Xtra (again) and the response was this :horrified
We can confirm you are on the correct "Connection speed". This is not to be confused with available "Download speed" or "upload speed".

There are a number of factors that can affect your upload and download speeds when downloading or uploading a file.

This is explained at www.xtra.co.nz/speed.

The main problem at present is that speed is affected at the peak times. this can be between 5pm and 11pm simply due to the number of Broadband users performing various functions on the internet. While we do recognise this problem it is not a simple quick fix. we do hope to allow more capacity to cater for the peak times.

it is also important to note that Xtra does not guarantee your speed to be 3.5 MB/sec 100% of the time. The speeds you have shown are quite good for the time of day but if you notice not much of an improvement at off peak times or if it gets worse please let us know.

I work in IT and of course aren't at home during the (Off peak times ) to test
but having sent Xtra the results it looks clear to me I'm on the wrong plan. Anyone else here have the same problem? :mad:

stu161204
20-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Hello rodi

Welcome to PressF1 :)

Before i go on you may want to do a search of PressF1 - http://pressf1.co.nz/search.php? As there has been a LOT of threads on this.

:( I'm on the xtra Adventurer plan, and when downloading files over the past few weeks I noticed the download speed never got above 245-250Kbtes a second.

Thatís normal, depending on where you live in NZ ( to what I have seen of my downloads & posts about this as well) & how busy your exchange is, Do a search of PressF1 to find out more ;)

I work in IT and of course aren't at home during the (Off peak times ) to test
but having sent Xtra the results it looks clear to me I'm on the wrong plan.

It does not seem like it matter what plan your on as the problem is on Xtra / telecom end

Why I say that is because

1. Every since they increase the numbers of connections per pipe i.e.: from what every it was to 150:1 connection ratio people have not been able to get good download speeds

2. The exchanges you connect to are overloaded

Anyone else here have the same problem? :mad:

Do a Search of PressF1 to find out more as your not the only person in this boat ;)

I Hope this helps

Battleneter
20-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Welcome to NZ broadband, Nearly everybody is having your problem!

jesse_jax
20-06-2006, 11:11 PM
oh wow, only 250kbps? that SUCKS...lets have a little looksy....compare that to my 60kbps ''2mbit'' and youll see, your not that bad off, deal with it.

rodi
21-06-2006, 08:59 AM
You work for telecom? :rolleyes: Your ok about paying for a speed you aren't receiving? My gripe is I changed from 2 Mb to 3.5 and there is no difference in speed. So if you make a noise things might happen!

pctek
21-06-2006, 09:16 AM
oh wow, only 250kbps? that SUCKS...lets have a little looksy....compare that to my 60kbps ''2mbit'' and youll see, your not that bad off, stop being a ***** and deal with it.
Or my 63kbps 3.5Mbps plan, thats been that way for 3 months now.

Master_Frost
21-06-2006, 09:21 AM
You work for telecom? :rolleyes: Your ok about paying for a speed you aren't receiving? My gripe is I changed from 2 Mb to 3.5 and there is no difference in speed. So if you make a noise things might happen!

I have to say you are lucky to get 2Mb speeds consistently. Many people are struggling to get much past modem speeds at peak times due to overloaded exchanges at the moment.

As for you problem you are 1/100,000 people with the same issue, and there is little you can do until the LLU takes effect. It sucks but its but true, feel free to keep complaining to TC and in every forum you can find, but unfortunately will not help (personal experience).

rodi
21-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I have to say you are lucky to get 2Mb speeds consistently. Many people are struggling to get much past modem speeds at peak times due to overloaded exchanges at the moment.

As for you problem you are 1/100,000 people with the same issue, and there is little you can do until the LLU takes effect. It sucks but its but true, feel free to keep complaining to TC and in every forum you can find, but unfortunately will not help (personal experience).
Thanks for the info, might just go back to 2Mb...ten dollars less for the same speed
cheers

Arnie
21-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Or my 63kbps 3.5Mbps plan, thats been that way for 3 months now.

Pctech I had the same prob. for weeks thru Paradise, ended up ringing them almost daily and the end result was that while they had asked telecom for the 3.5 telecom had done nothing. I am after weeks of 65kbps now getting around 2000 plus :thumbs: :thumbs:

pctek
21-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Pctech I had the same prob. for weeks thru Paradise, ended up ringing them almost daily and the end result was that while they had asked telecom for the 3.5 telecom had done nothing. I am after weeks of 65kbps now getting around 2000 plus :thumbs: :thumbs:
My router reports 4288, so yes I do have the 3.5 plan.

When I was on 2Mbps it was fine, the entire of Wyndham and surrounds as well, now has constant crap speeds since the "speed increases". Its not peak periods either.

They know all this and know the exchange needs attention. They'll just dither as long as they can. So.....average of 63 it is. At least they refund me in full every single month.

I'd rather have my speed back though....

bonkiebonks
21-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I think people tend to believe is because we're all running on UBS, we get the same speed no matter which ISP we go with. Over the last 3 months, I have moved through 4 ISPs and have found Orcon to have the most reliable speeds, both national and international. Ihug and Xtra are pretty much the same - I get 1 mbit on international, although I do get a more decent 3.5mbit on national. Quicksilver is by far the worst experience for me, managing only 500kbps for both international and national.

So, my conclusion is, it does matter which ISP you go with. I read from the another forum that Xnet is pretty good too, giving the promised 2mbit speed (on 2mbit plans of course) for both national and international. I'm gonna switch back to Orcon, or maybe try Xnet.

Feelers
21-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Seems to me everyone just sits on their arses. Complain to the Commerce Commission, thats the only way telecom will care, by making them.

I love whining , but only to people who can make a difference. I made a complant of age discrimination agaist StudyLink - (the government department responsible for student loans/bursary payments) saying that bursary payments use age discrimnation - and they agreed with me. :)

So - after one letter to the Human Rights Commission, Study Link may have to pay out 3 bursays payments to everyone - no matter how old as long as they are at university. :D

While Telecom have a disclaimer - there is no way that they can say you have a 2mbit connection if the average for everyone is WELL under this speed. I would hazzard a geuss that something could be done. You could even just ask for an investigation into their practices, the Commerce Commission are pretty damn awesome, its just that noone really uses them.

I am considering complaining after my exams are over, a little busy atm. Something to think about.