PDA

View Full Version : Win98se reinstall

flier
20-06-2006, 03:52 PM
QUESTION
CAN i REINSTALL WIN98SE WITHOUT AN UPGRADE DISC, AND STILL RETAIN USER FILES AND ALL INSTALLED SOFTWARE.

I HAVE AN UPGRADE 95 DISC SO I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A 98 UPGRADE CD. EXACTLY WHAT DISC WILL DO WHAT I NEED

PRESENT INSTALL IS A BIT AGED (ABOUT 5 YEARS) AND OFTEN LOCKS .
NEEDS A TIDY, PARTICULARILY IN WIN EXPLORER

flier
20-06-2006, 03:53 PM
QUESTION
CAN I REINSTALL WIN98SE WITHOUT AN UPGRADE DISC, AND STILL RETAIN USER FILES AND ALL INSTALLED SOFTWARE.
I HAVE AN UPGRADE 95 DISC SO I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A 98 UPGRADE CD. EXACTLY WHAT DISC WILL DO WHAT I NEED

SurferJoe46
20-06-2006, 04:39 PM
QUESTION
CAN I REINSTALL WIN98SE WITHOUT AN UPGRADE DISC, AND STILL RETAIN USER FILES AND ALL INSTALLED SOFTWARE.

I found this: http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/upgrade/intro.htm

and this: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows98/downloads/

.......... but I don't see what you are trying to do.

mantermite
20-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I did an "upgrade" reinstall on my folks WIN98SE system.

Was having issues due to a faulty PSU so I installed over the top of it, and it retained all user files and programs that I had installed.

I had to update IE to version 6 and do the windows update site, but it runs smoother now. Not the best way always good to just back up important data and do a fresh install but for now it did the trick.

Only issue, nothing appeared in the add/remove programs section until I had used the program or updated them.

Didn't stop anything running but one of the prices of cheap fixes!!!!!

tweak'e
20-06-2006, 06:20 PM
firstly quit with the caps and double posting :(

with 9x its not termed "upgrade install". what your wanting to do is simply a "reinstall", "dirty reinstall" or "over the top install". as you can guess its dirty. it can fix some problems and leave all your data intact BUT it leaves all the crap behind which can be the cause of the problem.

it is much better to back up all data and copies of drivers/programs, then format and install.