PDA

View Full Version : WMP 11 Beta Version...Any Good?

SurferJoe46
20-06-2006, 06:15 AM
The WMP 11 version is out, and I am just wondering if it has some new spyware in the form of DRM's and such installed?

Anyone tried it yet?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

SurferJoe46
20-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Ewwwwwwwww. I spoke too soon...check this out from the FAQ's in that site:

Q. I can no longer access my protected files. What should I do?
A.

There might be a problem with the media usage rights for the files. To help identify the problem, try playing a protected file and then clicking the error icon next to the file (Windows Media Player 11) or right-clicking the file and then clicking Error Details (Windows Media Player 10). Typically, a message will be displayed that gives information and instructions for resolving the problem.

If you obtained the files from an online store, check to see if the rights are missing or expired. For information about checking the rights, see How do I tell whether a file is protected and what I can do with it? If the rights are missing or expired, contact your online store to find out if the store provides the ability to restore or renew rights. Note that if the DRM system on your computer is corrupted, you must fix the corruption before downloading new rights. For more information, see Why do I get an error message that the rights (or licenses) for my files are corrupted or not valid?

If you are using Windows Media Player 10 and you have backed up your licenses, you can try to restore them. (It is not possible to back up and restore licenses in Windows Media Player 11.) For information about backing up and restoring licenses in Windows Media Player 10, see Windows Media Player 10 Help.

If the files you want to access were ripped from a CD, it is possible that copy protection was turned on during ripping and that the limit for the number of times new rights can be downloaded for the files has been reached. For more information, see When I try to play a file, a Web page is displayed that says I need to download more rights and mentions something about migration. What does this mean?
Q. Why do I get an error message that the rights (or licenses) for my files are corrupted or not valid?
A.

The DRM system on your computer is corrupted. This problem may occur if you have replaced hardware components in your computer. As a result, existing media usage rights on your computer may not work correctly, or it may be impossible to download new rights. To resolve this problem, you can reset the DRM system on your computer and then try to obtain new rights for your protected files from the content provider. The procedure for doing so varies, depending on the version of the Player you are running.

qyiet
20-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah.. but really joe, who didn't expect DRM to screw up?

I have the beta, and quite like it for a couple of reasons. (DRM issues don't apply to me.. I have all mp3s because I'm a device addict, and mp3s work on everything. ogg, flac, aac, wma lack widespread support on most devices)

1) It has a proper indexed database, with realtime keyword searching (about time MS)
2) It treats albums as a base unit, rather than just tracks like every other music player I've used, I'm not a big fan of the "one track here, one track there" music buying.. I get music by the album, and prefer to listen to it that way too.
3) Album art is *actually* used... a lot to the point that I've hunted out all the missing album art to add to it from my music collection (thanks google images)

So yeah.. movie playback works.. and seems fine, no plusses/minuses here.. although I havn't asked it to index my collection of vidoes (mostly little jokes that get emailed about) so I have no idea how good that is. Aparently it does photo slideshows too.. once again.. havn't really tested that trick either.

-Qyiet

SurferJoe46
20-06-2006, 09:49 AM
......Just wondering if it's gonna raise hell on my zone-removed dvd files.....

mejobloggs
20-06-2006, 10:43 AM
......Just wondering if it's gonna raise hell on my zone-removed dvd files..... If it does, use VLC.

KiwiMR2
22-06-2006, 06:03 PM
I have been using it for a while and am happy with it....no obvious issues with my music or dvd's....backed up or origionals makes no difference.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

imarubberducky
22-06-2006, 07:43 PM
I like it, a lot of small bugs but nothing to annoying.

It great for me because i get full albums, rather than a few songs. But having a lot of random songs everywhere would make it messy, and the metadatabase just isn't good enough, nor smart enough.

It's far better than iTunes though.

Prescott
22-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Winamp and VLC are so much better :D

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I installed it to try it out. At least it detected the Ipod and even my digital cam. So, I could copy files across.

But, I prefer Winamp, and the plugin for the Ipod.

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 05:18 AM
With that info, I think I'll stop at WMP10 and not update any more. I have a playable system and I guess kicking a sleeping dog is hard on the shins if you know what I mean. Besides, I can always use DVD Shrink coupled to Power DVD if I have to.

(Hmmmmm? Meppis have any of these problems?)

mantermite
23-06-2006, 11:23 AM
And despite all the technobabble about it, it comes in a shiny black and looks cool. :D

Haven't had any probs with any files I have thrown at it to be honest and I've had it since it came out.