PDA

View Full Version : PC automactically restarts for no reason.

MTLance
19-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi,
I need help. I'm running on 1.6GHz P4 processor, 512MB DDR Ram, 40GB HDD, with Mircosoft Windows XP. When I open lots of applications the PC automatically restarts and use it again it does the same thing. So I can't use much PC resource. Can anyone help me with this?

tweak'e
19-06-2006, 06:34 PM
have you turned off the auto restart ?

MTLance
19-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Never use auto restart unless installing a software where it says restart. And where is auto restart?

gibler
19-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Never use auto restart unless installing a software where it says restart. And where is auto restart?

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

MTLance
19-06-2006, 06:45 PM
1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
Thanks Gibler.

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Also go to control panel / admin tools / event viewer. Look under application and system. See what shows an error and what the error code is.

MTLance
19-06-2006, 06:59 PM
When I start the McAfee Virus Scan, McAfee Anti-Spyware, Registry Fix, and Registry Mechanic. The whole system start to slow down and pop the system restart without stating anything. Last time this computer can handle way better than that but why does it started to do this? Is it old?

gum digger
19-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Wel...

Just open up your case and check if the fan on the processor chip is running.

Jen
19-06-2006, 07:21 PM
If you are running all those programs simultaneously, it is not suprising it may do a restart. The AV especially can be quite resource intensive. Try running them only one at a time, which will also avoid any conflicts between the applications.

MTLance
19-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Sometimes I run System Mechanic Total Care and internet explorers it restarts. Is my CPU being weaken over the years?

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2006, 07:53 PM
No, it could be faulty software / or a faulty file, thats restarting the system, when you boot up.

Or a driver for something maybe corrupt.

Like I said, check event viewer, and see what it shows, and tell us what it says.

MTLance
19-06-2006, 08:02 PM
It just that my computer is kinda old around 4-5 yrs now. Can't play much new games even GTA:SA is kinda laggy when running on it.

Time past so fast. When I bought the computer and I play many games on it and now can't play much new games on it especially new ones like Dreamfall The Longest Journey, World Racing 2 and etc.

kennie
19-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Hm... sounds like software... Mcafee uses about 60MB of RAM and system mechanic and registry fix... mmm dangerous programs too... when was the last time you did a clean reinstall of windows?

Erayd
19-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Could it also be a ram problem? I had a similar issue a while back, and it was caused by a faulty stick of ram (failed memtest86 repeatedly). Replaced it and the whole thing sent fine.

zqwerty
19-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Post a screen save (alt=prntscrn) of your Task Manager/Processes as it would be when you are going to play intensive games, stretch it out so we can see all the entries.

To here:

http://imagef1.net.nz/upload/

Post the link back here, convert the bmp to .jpg.

Whilst in Task Manager after screen shot on Processes go to Performance tab and tell us total physical memory and available.

MTLance
19-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Hm... sounds like software... Mcafee uses about 60MB of RAM and system mechanic and registry fix... mmm dangerous programs too... when was the last time you did a clean reinstall of windows?
I got 512MB DDR RAM for this old computer. ANd haven't reformatted it for ages but run CCleaner.

Could it also be a ram problem? I had a similar issue a while back, and it was caused by a faulty stick of ram (failed memtest86 repeatedly). Replaced it and the whole thing sent fine. I don't think is RAM faulty it is always tested on start up.

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't think is RAM faulty it is always tested on start up.
That does not indicate that the RAM is not faulty.

Download and run Memtest86 as mentioned by Bletch, run it for a few hours and see what results you get.

MTLance
19-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Here: http://imagef1.net.nz/files/RunningJustGTASanAndreas.jpg
When playing San Andreas it is kinda laggy but my other new computer didn't.

zqwerty
19-06-2006, 11:54 PM
You have many unnecessary programs running from Startup folder when all you want is the ones you require for gaming. Use Startupcpl or something similar to reduce them. For instance Acrobat Reader is probably in fast startup mode, your Firewall is on, you don't need that unless you are on the internet, you need to decide yourself what to switch off, you also don't need all the antivirus and other maintainance programs that you have running.

You can right click and close some of them down in Task Manager. Some you won't be allowed to by the o/s and don't shutdown explorer.exe of course.

See a previous post of mine in another thread where I gave link to sites that give very good tips for speeding up XP.

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, you shouldnt be running 2 firewalls for a start.

They can conflict. Uninstall Mcafees or ZA.

zqwerty
20-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Here is my Task Manager whilst on the internet and running uTorrent.

10 less than your System and I have extra things running for the Internet, no wonder your comp is not snappy.

http://imagef1.net.nz/files/CompGraphic1966.jpg

zqwerty
20-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Not sure quite how to do this but I know you can set up your computer so you have a startup that is for gaming and another one for when you want to go on the internet by just rebooting and choosing and that way you can get the max out of your computer depending on what you are doing.

MTLance
20-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Well, you shouldnt be running 2 firewalls for a start.

They can conflict. Uninstall Mcafees or ZA.??? I didn't run 2 firewalls. I only run Zone Alarm Pro. By the way it is McAfee Security Centre.

Not sure quite how to do this but I know you can set up your computer so you have a startup that is for gaming and another one for when you want to go on the internet by just rebooting and choosing and that way you can get the max out of your computer depending on what you are doing. OK. Maybe Norton GoBack is the one. It back the whole system files every interval. I also reduce some startup items but some are important.

kennie
21-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Run "msconfig" and in the startup tab untick all and apply then it will ask to restart your computer. If your pc loads up fine with no restart then run msconfig again. One at a time tick what you want loaded in startup and see which one you tick will startup sucessfully on each startup...

drcspy
21-06-2006, 01:55 PM
correct me if I"m wrong but doesn't mcAfee 'security center' incorporate a firewall ?

MTLance
21-06-2006, 04:51 PM
correct me if I"m wrong but doesn't mcAfee 'security center' incorporate a firewall ? It is just a Security Centre nothing to do with firewall unless you install Internet Secuirty Suite which contains firewall. My McAfee security has only virus program protection which supposed to be on at all time when running the computer.

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2006, 08:13 PM
It is just a Security Centre nothing to do with firewall unless you install Internet Secuirty Suite which contains firewall. My McAfee security has only virus program protection which supposed to be on at all time when running the computer.

Well, if this (http://images.mcafee.com/common/screenshots/msc_main_696x540.gif) is what you have it says personal firewall +.

So, it does have a firewall.

And it doesnt look like it says Internet security suite.

MTLance
22-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Here is my McAfee Secuirty Centre: http://imagef1.net.nz/files/MyMcAfeeSecurityCentre.jpg