PDA

View Full Version : Broadband - what do I need?

Beemer
19-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I've coped quite happily with dial-up for five years but after using broadband on a contract job recently, I realised it could make my life a lot easier!

While Paradise is my ISP, I'm still with Telecom for my landline and tolls, so I'm guessing it would be cheaper and easier to go with them for broadband (especially if it's when they've got a free modem/connection deal on offer), but I don't really know what I need and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

I don't play online games and I have never downloaded music or videos (apart from in emails people have sent me), but I am a photographer and it would be great to send photos via email more often - currently it's so slow I burn them onto a CD and post them! I see that Xtra has a 1GB flat rate plan ($39.95) that I think would probably be sufficient, but I'm not sure. I want more speed when downloading emails and opening websites but I have no idea what I would download (forgive my blondeness, but is opening a page on a website considered downloading or do I have do save something onto my hard drive for this to be a download?) in a given 28-day period. How do I find out?

I have my landline phone number printed on my business cards so changing the number (if this has to be done to use an ISP other than Xtra) is not an option. Is Xtra okay? I had problems with them before, which is why I changed to Paradise, but I am getting desperate for a connection that doesn't take minutes for me to view each page!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. This is - of course - assuming I can even get broadband in the first place - we live in the country and have trouble with our landline on a regular basis!

Trev
19-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Click Here (http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,,202853-1000,00.html) and enter your phone number to see if you can get broadband.

Trevor :)

Shortcircuit
19-06-2006, 05:32 PM
You might be best to go with Xtra (Telecom) as they charge less if you have phone/tolls with them... more if you don't. They also have the 'free connection/router' deal going at the moment I think, but be aware that if you sign up there will be a penalty for early disconnection (usually less than 1 year)... so if you don't like them and go back to Paradise you'll pay.

I've been with Xtra a while and no great problems, was with paradise in the old dial-up days and they were good.

A 1gig plan sounds ok if you just want to send photos etc in e-mails. Yes they include upload and download in your monthly allowance, although some ISPs I believe have free downloads from NZ sites.

Xtra have a usage meter page that you can log into to check your usage, not very accurate but gives you an idea of what you've used.

Here's a page of ISPs and their plans if it helps :

http://www.ispfind.co.nz/

PS your phone number for your business will not change whatever ISP you go with... you will still need the phone line and it is seperate- supplied by Telecom, not Xtra or Paradise

greeny
19-06-2006, 05:34 PM
You might also want to check out Slingshot. If your not doing anything too drastic then they offer 5gb (5x more) for the same price ($39.95). I have had tons of problems with xtra beforehand, so I moved to ihug. I'd recommend that you check ihug out too if your not too worried about the pricing.

Beemer
19-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Trevor, I'd already done that and it came up with a message to say that although broadband was in my area, it would depend on how far from the exchange we were so I had to enter in my contact details and someone would get back to me with an answer.

Thanks Greeny and Shortcircuit. I don't know if Slingshot cover our area - we're 8kms north of Levin - and also would it mean changing my landline number and going with them for toll calls?

Currently I pay $20 a month for 250 hours and I have never gone over that (but I did occasionally go over the 150 hours I had before!) but it's just the speed I'd like to rev up.

Even a rough guide of what I use per week would give me an idea of whether 1GB would be enough - I'm pretty sure it would be.

Edit - I just got an email back from Xtra to say that broadband is available, but (there's always a but!) "please note however, that your telephone line will not support the download speed of our fastest broadband plans, which are up to 50 times faster than dial-up. These plans are popular due to their large monthly data allowance so you are still welcome to choose them, but please be aware that if you do you will only be able to download at speeds up to 24 times faster than dial-up."

So is it worth me getting broadband? I know dial-up is slow, but is the 24 times faster a minimum or a maximum?

effie c
19-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi Beemer,

Stay with xtra and get a spectacular improvement.
Like you I have been on dial up for nearly 9 years, was getting cheesed off at the boring ,frustrating slow speed- I tried the $39.95 as you suggest, and with a matter of moments, finances aside, decided never to go back.
xtra went out recently and I used my old dial up to send two e mails to contacts who would wonder why I had stopped- cost 46 cents.
I went back to broadband as soon as I could and sure enough -that completed any doubt worries, as to whether it was worth it. :D .

I know this forum has some very virulent critics of xtra, but that is not fair.I have had answers to any (of my making) problems, always answered well and nicely

1 gb will let me listen to online music as well as chat with msn,open up the web and use it - all at the same time-in other words using my computer in a new world.

At this moment 19 days into the next month-690 mb used .- even after sending and receiving many photos, and movie "funnies"

O K I would love a bit more but finances preclude that.

Enjoy Broadband - it sure is worth it
:D

effie c

Beemer
19-06-2006, 06:09 PM
It sounds pretty good Effie! I have contacted Xtra to ask a few questions (like how much is the wiring charge likely to be?) and will see how that pans out. I just dread leaving my contract job at the end of next week and going back to waiting (and waiting and waiting...) for each page to load and each email to be sent!

Your usage sounds a bit like mine - if I had the speed I would probably do a lot more online. And not tying up the phone line will be bliss - although can I still take it off the hook so my mother-in-law thinks I'm working?!!!

pctek
19-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Edit - I just got an email back from Xtra to say that broadband is available, but (there's always a but!) "please note however, that your telephone line will not support the download speed of our fastest broadband plans, which are up to 50 times faster than dial-up.

So is it worth me getting broadband? I know dial-up is slow, but is the 24 times faster a minimum or a maximum?
Hah, your phone line? More like their exchnage....
But yes, even if you get 256k its still better than dial up. Everything you do on the net counts toward data uage, viewing webpages etc etc. Most of that doesn't add up to much though so 1Gb should be OK. You can always change your plan to one with a higher cap later if you find you are using more.
You shouldn't need any wiring charges either.

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 06:15 PM
It is worth upgrading to ADSL and, as you have found, it is hard to go back to dialup once you have had a taste of it.

The 1GB plan should be plenty for you as long as you don't start downloading movies, music and other large files. I have been on a 2GB plan since October last year and, thanks to a careless family member who got a bit carried away downloading large files, I went over my cap for the first time last week. It was rather painful being reduced back to 64KB/s speeds but fortunately it was only for a week. Normally 2GB is plenty and I download a lot of program and Windows updates for my work.

Yes, opening a page on a website is considered downloading and ALL traffic is counted, both to and from your computer - even the "invisible" traffic going back and forth in the background whilst your computer is running. Sending and receiving emails is also part of the traffic counted.

Regardless of which ISP you choose you will not lose your current phone number, even if you go with that ISP's tolls plan in exchange for a cheaper plan. It just means that Telecom will bill you for your phone and your ISP will bill you for your internet and tolls.

Go for it. :cool:

Beemer
19-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone, sounds like a goer then!

Battleneter
19-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Why the heck(love to post stronger word) are you going Xtra!!!!

Xtra 1gig $39
Singshot 5 gig $39

Ok just to recap and say this slowly, Slingshot................ has 5times (thats 5 times) the amount of data allowance for the same money.

1 Gig a is pathetic cap even for what you to do, go Slingshot for the same price, this is a no BRAINER!

http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=14

Beemer
20-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Why the heck(love to post stronger word) are you going Xtra!!!!

Xtra 1gig $39
Singshot 5 gig $39

Ok just to recap and say this slowly, Slingshot................ has 5times (thats 5 times) the amount of data allowance for the same money.

1 Gig a is pathetic cap even for what you to do, go Slingshot for the same price, this is a no BRAINER!

http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=14

*note - the price is for people who have direct dial tolls with Slingshot. I don't and can't be faffed changing as we make beggar all toll calls in the first place!

Secondly - Xtra is offering a free modem and free connection. That is a big factor in my decision as I don't have a lot of spare cash right now! (I see that Slingshot were also offering the same deal, but it was only until May 31.)

Also, we live in the country and our line is very old so we can't get high speed broadband. Until they upgrade the line (until the 12th of never...) we can't get much better than the lowest broadband plans.

Master_Frost
20-06-2006, 05:34 PM
*note - the price is for people who have direct dial tolls with Slingshot. I don't and can't be faffed changing as we make beggar all toll calls in the first place!

Secondly - Xtra is offering a free modem and free connection. That is a big factor in my decision as I don't have a lot of spare cash right now! (I see that Slingshot were also offering the same deal, but it was only until May 31.)

Also, we live in the country and our line is very old so we can't get high speed broadband. Until they upgrade the line (until the 12th of never...) we can't get much better than the lowest broadband plans.

All people I know have regretted going on 1 gig or less plans, and you will be tied in to a 12 month contract with Xtra for that "free" modem.

I would suggest you are being a little short sighted, saving a few dollars now at the expense of a decent Internet. You are going to curse your decision in a few months when you realise how crappy 1 gig is and you could of had 5 gig for the same cost with a one off modem expense ($70 ish), especially when the tolls issue is a mute point.

Shortcircuit
20-06-2006, 06:21 PM
1gig is 'not a lot' for broadband as you tend to download more... just because you can :D

I do vaguely remember having a 200MB plan and managed to live within it. It's all relevant to what you use the net for, I would think the 'average Joe' would get by happily on 1 gig.

I would suggest start with the 1 gig plan and keep a check on how much you use for a few months, then if you need to you can always go to a 2gig plan or more without penalty. I think Xtra can change over your plans in a couple of days and you can do it via the web so don't have to wait for a human.

As you say, you're not likely to get any better speeds if you go to a more expensive/faster plan anyway, so it's wasted money.

FoxyMX
20-06-2006, 06:34 PM
1gig is 'not a lot' for broadband as you tend to download more... just because you can :D
That is the most common reason for going over any limit. If it weren't for that it would normally be plenty. ;)

As Shortcircuit says, you can upgrade to a larger limit if you find it too restrictive but do be sure to read all the terms and conditions before you sign up.

Beemer
20-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks everyone, there's been some good advice handed out. My main problem (in case you hadn't already guessed...) is I know very little about computers and broadband so I really want the easiest option! I don't want to muck around too much trying to get the best deal - if I didn't have to change my toll subscriber I would probably stick with Paradise.

I'm not a huge user of the net, I just want what I do use to be faster and easier to access. I'm a journalist, so I'm not playing games or downloading music or videos, so it's highly likely 1GB will be adequate - at least until I know what I'm doing and perhaps start to use it more. Xtra does have a 5GB plan for an extra $10 so it's not going to break the bank if I do have to upgrade.

You can all say you told me so if I come back and complain!

Battleneter
20-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Well you don't have to worry, you definitely don't have the best plan, however you do have a point if its only another $10 to go to the 5 gig Xtra plan.

Ninjabear
20-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Ihug does offer a free modem + free connection.

Dont join xtra

Ninjabear
20-06-2006, 06:57 PM
http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/specials.html

Greg
20-06-2006, 08:21 PM
If you want the simplest solution, go with Xtra. Their prices are fine and service is great.

Battleneter
20-06-2006, 08:32 PM
If you want the simplest solution, go with Xtra. Their prices are fine and service is great.

lol some people just don't know any better, there prices are crap AS YOU CAN SEE ABOVE!!, there service is crap like most ISP's and explain why it is the simplest solution?

You mean they have the coolest adds on TV right?

stu161204
20-06-2006, 08:57 PM
lol some people just don't know any better, there prices are crap AS YOU CAN SEE ABOVE!!,

They might be crap for the lower bandwidth plans, but not for 10GB+, I have yet to see an ISP to offer 10 GB for less then $49.95

& I have yet to see an ISP to offer 512K upload for less then $79.95 with a 10 GB cap & get reduced speed once you hit 10GB.

Ninjabear
20-06-2006, 09:11 PM
They might be crap for the lower bandwidth plans, but not for 10GB+, I have yet to see an ISP to offer 10 GB for less then $49.95

& I have yet to see an ISP to offer 512K upload for less then $79.95 with a 10 GB cap & get reduced speed once you hit 10GB.

Ihug Does offer 30Gb at 512K upload for $79.95...

stu161204
20-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Ihug Does offer 30Gb at 512K upload for $79.95...

I said less then $79.95 ;)

bachelorno1
21-06-2006, 12:37 AM
I have yet to see an ISP to offer 10 GB for less then $49.95
World exchange (http://www.xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml) have an xtream 10GB plan for $42.95, with free national traffic; voluntary tolls; no contract period; and a choice of 3 'overage' options if you go over 10GB. Oh dear, no 'free' modem ;)

I use their 2Gb plan and am very happy. I hope this helps :2cents:

bonkiebonks
21-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Just to clarify, Xtra do NOT tie you to a 12-months contract for the free connection/free modem deal. Heck, they did not even charge me a churn fee when I moved to them from Ihug. And I even got the free modem! As long as you were never an Xtra BROADBAND customer before, you'd be fine - you'll get the free modem and free connection.

If you want free and helpful helpdesk, Xtra is the answer. Ihug helpdesks are hopeless! It took 45 minutes before someone my call.

If you sign up online for Xtra Broadband, you will also get a $10 credit on your Telecom phone bill. Check out xtra.co.nz/offer for the deal! Pretty good deal IMHO. They even gave me $10 for 6 months for moving my tolls back with them, and my first month (Adventure plan) was free too! ;)

effie c
21-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Beemer,
Your poor head must be spinning -
go with xtra as I first said two pages ago, ignore all the facile comments,I can only think it is sour grapes
:groan:
enjoy, and upgrade at a later date if you so desire, and you wil still have your free modem and connection fee for such
:mad:
Honestly this forum is wasting time and energy with no satisfactory end in sight
:D
effie c

Pauline
22-06-2006, 12:09 AM
If you want to stay with Paradise you don't need to change your phone number if you want to change to them for landline phone.
Our internet, home phone & tolls are with Clear but we got to keep our Telecom phone number.
Pauline.

mode3
22-06-2006, 11:53 AM
A wing and a prayer.

M.

erik.s
03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
sUp GuY'S im movin from dail-up to broad band but i just want to know if u join sling-shot broadband do you get free modem-and setup or just modem or in one case nothing of that.

shot thxs.