PDA

View Full Version : 100 Gb Maxtor External Hard Drive from Countdown

ssssss
19-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Yes Countdown are selling them on special this week $159.
I have just bought one. Am I wise? I went by the name Maxtor which I believe is a good brand, so I hope it won't be trash

Cicero
19-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Time will tell!

Rob99
19-06-2006, 12:50 PM
2.5 or 3.5

bonzo29
19-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Their fellow supermarket Woolworths are selling a bigger version (160g) at some price over $220, I can't remember what exactly and I've dumped the flyer

pctek
19-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Pricespy:

Seagate 120GB 7200rpm $101.14
Seagate 160GB 7200rpm $106.88

Erayd
19-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Pricespy: $25.50 (The USB enclosure to put it in)

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Their fellow supermarket Woolworths are selling a bigger version (160g) at some price over $220, I can't remember what exactly and I've dumped the flyer

Maxtor Hard Drive 200g
200g :lol: :rolleyes:

200GB for $249.

Blade2
19-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Be weary, for a average joe user it sounds ok. Do you want to deal with a supermarket manager when your hard drive blowsup after a month?

The other prices are good, but if you have never tried to stick a hard drive into a case before...

There are risks either way, make sure that countdown will take them back if there is a problem.

P.S. Maxtor should be ok, but so should the harddrive that I got from Dicksmith. but I went through 3 of them

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Do you want to deal with a supermarket manager when your hard drive blowsup after a month?
They will probably just hand over a new one, or refund your money if they no longer have replacements.

It would be interesting to know how they would check that there is actually a problem with the hard drive. Plug it into a computer and test it? Send it away for testing? Or just take the customer's word for it and replace with no questions asked?

The other prices are good, but if you have never tried to stick a hard drive into a case before...
The hard drives being discussed here are external USB drives that do not require installing into a case.

quarry
19-06-2006, 08:45 PM
it can also depend on who you get. i had bought a dvd player from foodtown for the sunroom. it was faulty, the agent assured me it would be replaced or refunded. but i got a person who didn't like to be told what to do & so refused my request & made the agent repair at a cost of over $75+ & the player only cost $60!

Hitech
19-06-2006, 08:51 PM
:badpc: you could have done him under the consumer rights act you have a right to exchange it if its faulty id be telling the guy to get stuffed and demand a new one.

PaulD
19-06-2006, 09:20 PM
You also have the right to correct information.
http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?docid=918&category=Legal%20Rights&subcategory=Beginners%20guides&topic=Consumer%20Guarantees%20Act&title=Putting%20it%20right&contenttype=general
"When the problem is not substantial, the product must still be repaired or replaced, but the trader or service provider is entitled to try to fix the problem first."

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 09:22 PM
:badpc: you could have done him under the consumer rights act you have a right to exchange it if its faulty id be telling the guy to get stuffed and demand a new one.
That is not correct. The retailer has the option to repair the item if the item is repairable.

Edit: Oops, too slow.

Erayd
19-06-2006, 10:23 PM
But they don't have the right to charge the consumer for it.

gibler
19-06-2006, 10:26 PM
P.S. If your external fails (and it was just the enclosure that died) , and you don't have a backup then there is no way of getting your data back without losing your warranty!!!

JJJJJ
20-06-2006, 05:36 AM
Boycot all supermarkets. If you think you can get a bargain there you you must be a raving lunatic.

Jimmy D
20-06-2006, 09:28 AM
i wouldnt trust supermarkets selling hard drives or many other computer products, because they're delicate, a hard drive can crap itself if you drop it from a hight of 2 inches onto a hard surface, and have you seen the way those teenage boys handle goods out the back? i wouldn't be supprised if any of the hard drives work when you first plug them in...

I would stick to buying computer stuff from a computer store

Buff_K
20-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Wow, I can't believe supermarkets are selling these kinds of goods man. They're not down here in Christchurch, as far as I know. Wont be long tho I'm sure.

I wont be buying from them.

FoxyMX
20-06-2006, 10:03 AM
i wouldnt trust supermarkets selling hard drives or many other computer products, because they're delicate, a hard drive can crap itself if you drop it from a hight of 2 inches onto a hard surface, and have you seen the way those teenage boys handle goods out the back? i wouldn't be supprised if any of the hard drives work when you first plug them in...
Couriers aren't exactly the most gentle of handlers either at times, and they must deliver plenty of them, what with the number of people buying hardware online these days.

PaulD
20-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Couriers aren't exactly the most gentle of handlers either at times, and they must deliver plenty of them, what with the number of people buying hardware online these days.

That's why the drive companies are very specific about the standard of packing if you are sending one back to them. I don't see why you shouldn't expect the same standard of packing when it is sent to you. If you get one wrapped in a layer or 2 of bubble wrap in a small box, complain to the place you ordered it from.

quarry
20-06-2006, 10:57 AM
it can also depend on who you get. i had bought a dvd player from foodtown for the sunroom. it was faulty, the agent assured me it would be replaced or refunded. but i got a person who didn't like to be told what to do & so refused my request & made the agent repair at a cost of over $75+ & the player only cost $60!

there may be a slight misunderstanding about this - the dvd was under warranty - 2 mths to go, so i didn't have to pay - but there was a statement with it & the time take to fix the problem which came to $75+ (my estimate of usual service charges). for example acer repair centre charge $67.50 just for looking at something.
my whinge was that the lady at the counter was happy to give me a refund as they had no stock, but then the supervisor came along & said no when I said the agent assured me of a replacement or refund - i did ask about repairs & he laughed saying it's not worth it - to me the supervisor just didn't like to be told & decided to muck up the agent!

Robin S_
20-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I had thought of making a post over the weekend alerting people to these deals but I checked with Pricespy first and that indicated that there were better deals available from proper computer outlets and I felt that they would be a safer bet, especially with regard to support and warranties.

PaulD
20-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd prefer to trust a major supermarket chain than some of your "proper computer outlets". Some of the Pricespy listings were for Generic hard drives. In some markets generic drives are relabelled drives that have been refurbished after being sent in as a warranty claim.