PDA

View Full Version : Web Pages wont open at times

smithie 38
19-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi folks.

A month ago I went Broadband and since then I am having a little annoying problem with web pages not opening occasionally. In Outlook Express I get the message "The page cannot be displayed - The page you are looking for is currently unavailable....." If I immediately click the refresh button, the page will display.
Similarly with Firefox I get the message "Firefox cannot find the server at WWW..." By immediately re-entering the URL the page will display.
This does not happen every time but would occur say 30% of the time.
I am using XP SP2; NOD 32; Kerio firewall: counterspy.
Anyone any clues as this did not happen whilst on dial up???

Smithie

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Was going to suggest that perhaps the fault was with Firefox as I am sure someone else had a similar problem not long ago. Since you mention that OE is also affected then that would probably rule out that theory.

I would suggest giving the system a good cleanout with CCleaner, doing a defrag, etc then if you still have the problem then give your ISP a call.

tweak'e
19-06-2006, 01:15 PM
also check in the firewall logs your not blocking the DNS. i've been having a problem with ZA recently blocking slow DNS requests. for eg under heavy downloading the firewall blocks the DNS replys after a certain length of time, no doubt to stop DOS attacks or dirty DNS etc.

smithie 38
19-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your reply FoxMX - will do what you say and see if that cures the problem. At the bottom of your post appears -

Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz
Ahh yes, thats much better. Nice and shiny with a squeaky clean noise when rubbed.

My mind is boggling a bit over what is meant by this :D :blush: Oh dear it is my warped sense of humour ;)

Smithie

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 01:20 PM
At the bottom of your post appears -

Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz
Ahh yes, thats much better. Nice and shiny with a squeaky clean noise when rubbed.

My mind is boggling a bit over what is meant by this :D :blush: Oh dear it is my warped sense of humour ;)
Your warped sense of humour is probably similar to mine then. :D

It's not what it seems though, it's what bob_doe_nz said to me when I had tidied up a FAQ he had been working on. :p

stu161204
19-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Also try different DNS servers

smithie 38
19-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi tweak'e. Nothing showing up in the logs, in fact I disabled Kerio and used MS firewall for half an hour and the problem still existed, so couldnt get back to Kerio fast enough. However you bring up an interesting point. The modem (Dynalink) has a built in firewall and I wonder if this could have something to do with the problem. With running Kerio should I disable the modem firewall???
Your comments would be appreciated.

stu161204. You are way and above my level of knowledge. I wouldnt have a clue as to how to try different DNS servers. If it is not too much trouble can you tell me in laymans terms how this is done.

Hey guys thanks for your suggestions though
Smithie

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't have my Dynalink modem's firewall enabled and it won't hurt for you to disable yours and see if it improves things.

To change the DNS settings go into Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol > Properties and in "Use the following DNS server" addresses change the "Preferred DSN server" and "Alternate DNS server" settings.

Not sure who your ISP is but try these numbers (write down the current ones first so you can change back if required):

stu161204
19-06-2006, 04:19 PM
(write down the current ones first so you can change back if required):

If any are set :)

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 04:31 PM
True.

Thanks Stu. :)

smithie 38
19-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi FoxyMX

I have typed in the DNS settings to what you suggest, and Stu's comment is correct - there were none set. My ISP is Xnet so if you want me to change those numbers let me know.

Will disable Dynalinks firewall and see what happens.

Many thanks for your help
Smithie

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Would suggest that you give things a whirl first before disabling the modem's firewall otherwise we won't know whether it was that or the DNS settings that fixed it, if you get an improvement.

smithie 38
19-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Okay I will just leave things as they are without disabling the firewall. Will keep you posted.

smithie 38
20-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Have had no problems since entering the DNS settings suggested.

Thanks Stu for your suggestion and also to the others that replied. A big thanks to FoxyMX for guiding me through how to do it all.

Smithie

FoxyMX
20-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Great news !! :thumbs:

Nice one, Stu, for fixing that one. ;)

BTW, those DNS numbers are for Actrix so if they ever give you problems in the future for some reason change them to another ISP's DNS numbers, eg Xtra's or Paradise's, etc. You can find them on their website Help pages.

stu161204
20-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Great news !! :thumbs:

Nice one, Stu, for fixing that one. ;)

:)