PDA

View Full Version : Steam issues?

greeny
19-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Heya,

I downloaded Steam from www.steampowered.com and installed it earlier tonight. But when I run it it says "Updating 0%" and doesn't do anything more.It isn't frozen either. I've tried installing it with everything off and on (Antivirus, Firewall) but nothing will make it budge. I think this has something to do with the way my router is setup. It's a Dynalink RTA300W with NAT. From then on it's connected to a Dick Smith router (acting as a switch) in another part of the house. The computer i'm trying to install Steam on is connected to this switch. However, if I plug the ethernet straight into my computer still nothing happens. Reinstalling doesn't work. I don't know what to do. Any idea on what could be causing this? I tried googling it but couldn't find much help.

Thanks in advance
- greeny

Greg
19-06-2006, 07:11 AM
How long are you letting it run for, or is it timing out? The initial updates can be really huge.

greeny
19-06-2006, 07:55 AM
It must be timing out, as I havn't touched it and nothing happens on the progress bar. At times it doesn't even say 0%, but I guess thats because it couldn't connect or something.

mantermite
19-06-2006, 08:19 AM
It must be timing out, as I havn't touched it and nothing happens on the progress bar. At times it doesn't even say 0%, but I guess thats because it couldn't connect or something.

I've had similar problems with Steam updating itself, but try at different times or just leave it for a very ong time.
It should come right.

Trev
19-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Can you open up the Steam Window and click on the View menu and select the bandwidth monitor. When that opens up it should till you if it is downloading anything.

Trevor :)

roddy_boy
19-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Hmm yeah I just downloaded the install file off the site, and it required an update, (which seems kind of stupid if you ask me, I would think they would have an updated install file on their site) but it's updating fine for me.

It only took ~5 mins to update for me. What speed is your internet? I'm on 2 Mbps.

Edit:
Trevor - Before / During the intitial update you can't view anything except the "Updating" window.

pctek
19-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Any idea on what could be causing this?
Take a look at their forum. You'll see heaps of complaints about it. Because currently Episode One is out, hundreds of thousands of peole downloading new bits and the pitiful number of servers they have. Which equals the usual steam stuffup. Great isn't it?

greeny
19-06-2006, 11:51 AM
My speed is 3.5mbps from ihug. I don't think it's the problem because a friend who downloaded steam last night to try it out updated his successfully, although he's on xtra's one.

Trev
19-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Take a look at their forum. You'll see heaps of complaints about it. Because currently Episode One is out, hundreds of thousands of peole downloading new bits and the pitiful number of servers they have. Which equals the usual steam stuffup. Great isn't it?

Yes I agree. I nearly bought the downloaded version of HL2 Episode 1 but glad I didn't. I'm on a 2mb plan and the fastest d/l speed I can get from Steam when doing updates is about 50kbps. I think HL2 Episode 1 is about 1.3gb so it would of taken me a while to D/L. The price is about $31 NZ. The DVD version when it comes out is about $49-95 NZ. The Gamesman is saying it well be released on the 22nd of June where EA who distribute it for OZ and NZ are saying July 13.

Trevor :)

pctek
19-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Yes I agree. I nearly bought the downloaded version of HL2 Episode 1 but glad I didn't. )
I got it and it started off well, but about 1/2 through the download speed kept dropping until it was under dial up. So I just went to bed and left it.
Then tried Lost Coast and it timed out so gave up on that one.
EP1 is good. Short but good. And theres a trailer for EP2. Looks like bad news in EP2....

greeny
19-06-2006, 02:26 PM
http://steampowered.com/status/status.html

They dont appear to be having any bandwidth issues. :P

Master_Frost
19-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Steam sucks so much.

I suggest blowing that crap off your system and downloading the pirated version of Episode one where you do not need steam at all.

Valve deserve to loose money, I have no sympothy for them

Steam is supposed to help stop piracy, but all it really does is handicap there real customers.

greeny
19-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, i'm trying to play Counter Strike: Source for one. Plus software piracy is simply wrong, it removes the publishers ability to produce further software for one.

pctek
19-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, i'm trying to play Counter Strike: Source for one. Plus software piracy is simply wrong, it removes the publishers ability to produce further software for one.
Advocating piracy especially on a forum that clearly states this is banned in the rules is not on.
But it does not stop them producing more software.....hasn't stopped anyone yet and piracy has been around for a long time.
However, Steam is hateful, it was good idea in theory and a terrible idea in practise. But You do not need to either pirate or use Steam - there is the option of buying it from Gameplanet as well you know.
Pirating it will stop you playing online and receving updates and patches for it.

greeny
19-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Advocating piracy especially on a forum that clearly states this is banned in the rules is not on.
But it does not stop them producing more software.....hasn't stopped anyone yet and piracy has been around for a long time.
However, Steam is hateful, it was good idea in theory and a terrible idea in practise. But You do not need to either pirate or use Steam - there is the option of buying it from Gameplanet as well you know.
Pirating it will stop you playing online and receving updates and patches for it.

I was not advocating piracy at all. However Master_Frost was. I was simply stating that it was wrong. I also meant that that is your $x amount of dollars that they arnt getting resulting in less funds to develop future software or versions. Problem being that CS:S has already been purchased on this particular Steam account so Steam is required.

Battleneter
19-06-2006, 06:57 PM

If valve want to infect there own customers with that appalling software, then in this case I would say Piracy is very RIGHT!, how else are people that don't want to put that crap on there PC meant to play?

Stream is more offensive than piracy any day of the week, all rules have exceptions this is one of them!

greeny
22-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Aha! Got it working! Needed to disable PeerGuardian, obviously blocking my connection to the Steam content servers. Thanks anyway