View Full Version : Wireless back to LAN

18-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Good morning Peepettes & Peeps!

A while ago I finally got around to getting Broadband. Then the next step was to get rid of the cables, free myself and go wireless. Everything was fine, I thought, or at least nothing really bothered me UNTIL........... I started using Skype and SkypeOut.

I never really noticed how many times my wireless connection was being 'dropped'. I didn't really take any notice because of the 'refresh' button. Just thought it was a 'dodgy link'. Now I am using Skype and SkypeOut and I notice that EVERY call is cut off at some point. No, it's not Skype. It's the wireless connection. I say that, because now I notice how often it drops when just surfing or downloading. And also I remember that it did it before Skype.

It's just done it now!!! AAAAAAAAGH! :badpc:
I'm glad I do this in Notepad first, then cut and paste, a?

So, you wonderful brains out there, is there a program that 'keeps the 'gate' open, so I don't get dropped? Or, how easy is it to go back to a wired network? I am quite happy to do that to keep the connection 'up'.

My computers aerial is about 4 metres away from the ADSL/wireless router with one wall between them and nothing else. Another computer, at the far end of the house (and all the interference that entails) seems to be working fine via a wireless link. The wireless router has five LAN connections on the back as well.

It's just dropped again! :angry :annoyed:

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, money etc......... oh except the suggestion about...... hmm! Guess I can't put that on an open forum!!! :eek:

Many regards,

The Cell :D

19-06-2006, 04:19 AM
What brand is your router?

19-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Seems odd to me, as I write this from my laptop which is connected to my router 10+ meters away with at least 3 walls in between via remote desktop connection to my desktop computer, it's fine.

19-06-2006, 01:33 PM
It is a Voyager 205 (if that's enough?).
Your right!!!! It also seems odd to me. As I stated, "Another computer, at the far end of the house (and all the interference that entails) seems to be working fine via a wireless link.". But mine is not ok. Unlike yours which is ok! Good for you! I'm impressed that your laptop is working ok. Mine is not working ok though. And with at least 10 meters AND 3 walls in the way! That's a bit like the other computer I stated about. That one is working ok! Like yours. Mine is not working 100%. Thanks for telling me about your laptop tho.
Many regards,
The Cell
PS Can you guess I'm starting to get a bit fed up with the fact that mine isn't working ok??? :( :confused:

19-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Do you have a nearby cordless phone operating on the same frequency? Sometimes these can cause interference even when on the cradle. That said, modern wireless products are a lot better than they used to be, and will often work regardless.

20-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Unless there is one next door, no! The people I live with just believe in a two foot coiled cable being coiled even more back to one foot!!! :rolleyes:
Oh and greeny, thanks once again for the info about your laptop. ;)

Many regards,

The Cell :D